» Random & Crazy Pictures
by Dark_Plague Tue Sep 15, 2015 4:12 am

» Stars Without Number OOC – Lifepath and Hacking Added
by Terwynd Sun Aug 09, 2015 4:02 am

» Hey guys...
by Talvox Wed Jul 15, 2015 2:38 am

» New Super Smash Bros. Game announced for teh Wii U and 3DS
by Potatrobot Thu Jul 09, 2015 1:29 pm

» What are your favorite youtube videos?
by Terwynd Tue Jun 30, 2015 9:32 pm

» General Chat thread
by Terwynd Thu Jun 25, 2015 1:10 am

» Steam Summer Sale 2015 [over]
by Terwynd Sun Jun 14, 2015 1:25 am

» ???????????????????????? ???????||INCOMING||??????? ???????||MESSAGE||???????? ??????????????????????????
by Terwynd Wed Apr 08, 2015 6:35 am

» Game Night — Every Saturday at 10pm GMT!
by Terwynd Wed Apr 08, 2015 3:01 am

Top posting users this week
Terwynd

Share | 

The Odyssey of Beltuga: Copyright Gelatino95

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Gelatino95
Silver Spice
Silver Spice

Upvotes: : 9

PostSubject: The Odyssey of Beltuga: Copyright Gelatino95   Mon Jun 06, 2011 5:16 am

I recieved a boatload of inspiration after reading through the first two parts of this epic pokemon fan fiction: http://www.serebiiforums.com/showthread.php?t=410132 I highly suggest reading through it, it took me all day, but it was well worth it.

I want to make a Spore fan fiction, based on some of the creatures that I have made and loved, including some elements from the many stages of Spore. I hope to make it a little more serious than the aforementioned one, but I'll definitely be sure to put in some humor nonetheless. And I'll probably avoid breaking the fourth wall.

I'll reserve the OP for a list of characters as they appear, including all vial information about them. The first chapter and all ensuing chapters will be posted as I make them, and anybody is allowed to post on this thread to comment on the story. But please avoid any off-topic conversations. Thanks.

The first chapter will be released probably tomorrow, as it's getting late. But I'll see if I can come up with something.

CHARACTER LIST

------------------------------

Races:

- Orange: The orange race is the first that Beltuga meets upon waking up. Apparently, they saved him from being eaten by nocturnal creatures. The oranges that Beltuga met lived in a small village made up of little huts, and they seemed intelligent enough. They had a language that Beltuga could understand. As their name implies, they have orange skin as well as some orange feathers on their head and neck. They also had proportionately long beaks on their heads, with eyes on either side. Very rarely, an orange will be born with a different color.

- Orthavian: Apparently Beltuga's normal race. These are green avian creatures with no feathers on their body except for their tails. They have wings made of skin, much like a bat's. They also have a plated beak at the end of their long necks, with large, black eyes that provide good visibility. They are a highly advanced society that thrives on diplomacy with other nations, but keeps an army called the Orthavian Battle Fleet for self-defense and to intimidate potential enemies.

- Helion: These antagonists of the story are a scientist race that think little of the welfare of other empires for the sake of their own. They are obsessed with advancing their scientific knowledge of the universe to aid the power of their empire. They went so far as to set up a fake diplomatic meeting and kidnapping the OBF's commanding officer, Beltuga, just to wage war on the Orthavians.

- Ravisha: A warlike tribe that dedicates its life to hunting. All the Ravisha in the village leave on hunting expeditions. However, the Ravisha are capable of forming plans to catch intelligent prey. They are led by their chieftain, Raveesh.

- Scrowla: Not much is known about the Scrowla tribe, except that they are enemies with the Ravisha. A member of their tribe is captured by the Ravisha along with Ben and Beltuga.

Characters:

- Beltuga: The protagonist of the story. He is alarmed to find himself in a new body one day after the failure of a diplomatic meeting between his race and the villainous Helion. He also found himself on an unknown planet with a strange race of orange people. He sets out on a quest to discover what happened to him and what the Helion are planning to do with their evil scheme.

- The chief: The leader of the oranges. He is old and wise, making sure that Beltuga is comfortable when he arrives. He is bewildered at the extraterrestrial knowledge of Beltuga, knowing nothing beyond his primitive world.

- Bennendetto: An orange with an unusually large build and a strange coloration. He is colored blue and green unlike the other oranges. However, he has uncanny powers beyond those of the other oranges. He can sense people's thoughts with telepathy, and can even predict the future. However, the other oranges, including the chief, are subconsciously scared of him, so they treat him as somewhat of an outcast.

- Captain Marshal: the leader of a small squad of six orthavians, who often complete planet side missions for the OBF. Him and his squad were told to go to the orange planet and try to find any evidence of Beltuga's disappearance. He can sometimes be a bit immature, distracted by small animals very easily.

- Raveesh: The leader of the Ravisha tribe. He appears to be eager to welcome Beltuga and Ben into his village, as he appreciates intelligent life. Perhaps he is jealous of Ben's intelligent conversation, for he has never welcomed anybody to his tribe before without killing them.

- The Scrowla: A member of the Scrowla tribe that was captured by the Ravisha. He refused to tell his name to Ben and Beltuga. He eventually escaped with the two of them.

Last edited by Gelatino95 on Mon Jul 04, 2011 9:22 pm; edited 5 times in total
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.spore.com/view/myspore/Gelatino95
DarkFish
Purple spice
Purple spice

Upvotes: : 1

PostSubject: Re: The Odyssey of Beltuga: Copyright Gelatino95   Mon Jun 06, 2011 5:27 am

Sounds great! I will be watching for it... ninja
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Gelatino95
Silver Spice
Silver Spice

PostSubject: Re: The Odyssey of Beltuga: Copyright Gelatino95   Mon Jun 06, 2011 6:01 am

I managed to throw together a chapter one to kick off my story. Not sure if it's my best work, but here you go:

Chapter 1: The Awakening

… “I think it’s dead.”

“I think you’re wrong.”

“Just look at it.”

“He’s got a point. I don’t think it’s moving.”

“Hey, it’s breathing. Obviously it’s still alive.”

“Actually, yeah. You’re right.”

The diminutive creature opened its eyes.

“Holy crap, did you see that? It’s moving!”

“Somebody go get the friggin chief!”

With a brief struggle, the creature sat up. Nobody spoke.

“Uhh…” it strained to say something.

“It can talk! At least, I think it can.”

“What did it say?”

“Nothing yet.”

“Then how do you know it can talk, birdbrain?”

The creature spoke. “What the flesh?”

“See? I told you.”

“Whatever. Hey! I thought I said to get the-“

“Calm down, dude. The chief’s right here.”

The creature squinted. It couldn’t see anything in focus. Everything seemed to be orange. But it was all a blur, with no visible detail. Gradually, the creature could see some shapes moving around.

“The creature is clearly injured. Carry him, and follow me.”

“Do what the chief says.”

The creature could feel itself being hoisted up off of solid ground. It no longer struggled to stay conscious, and everything went black.

~~~~

Now the creature could see clearly. It opened its eyes, but it could no longer see orange. Now it was dark, and a small fire glowed next to him. Warmth radiated throughout the… room? He could only assume that he was indoors.

“You awake.”

An orange-skinned creature with a long beak and squinting eyes sat beside him. Sparse feathers covered the top of its head and back of its neck. The orange thing stared at him.

“Tell me, little thing. Do you know where you are?”

The little guy said nothing.

“Can you speak?”

“Yeah, of course I can. Who can’t?”

The small creature was astonished. He was speaking, as he had done his entire life, but he sounded different. A high, squeaky noise replaced his normal voice.

“Oh my Spode. What is going on? What have you done to me?” the creature raged.

“Little one, we have done nothing to you. We have only saved you. Had we not rescued you, you surely would have been devoured by the vile beasts that roam the night,” the orange thing explained to him.

“Oh, well thanks for that,” the little one replied.

The orange thing looked curiously at the little creature before him. “You appear to be of high intelligence. Where do you come from? Do you have a name?”

“Of course I have a name,” the little thing explained. “I am Captain Beltuga, commanding officer of the Orthavian Battle Fleet.”

An awkward silence ensued.

“Your words are meaningless to me, little one,” the creature stated flatly. “You are much different than my people.”

“Your people?” the creature identified as Beltuga asked. “Why can I remember nothing? And what happened to my voice? It didn’t used to sound like this. Something is wrong here and I want to know what it is.”

Beltuga got up and walked out of the room. He walked into the outdoors, taking a look around. The terrain was covered with orange grasses and patches of bare earth. Surrounding him were huts made of straw and leaves, with small openings for these orange creatures to walk in and out of. The sun was as orange as the ground, and it barely showed over the horizon. It was dawn, wherever he was. Or sunset. He was so disoriented; he had no sense of time anymore. He saw a glistening body of water nearby him, and he immediately headed for it. Its waters were orange like the land and the sky, but were still reflective. Beltuga stood by the water’s edge and gazed at himself.

He shuddered.

This was not his body. He had woken up in someone else’s body. Or … something else’s body. He trod upon the ground with a pair of legs that ended in two stubby toes for each foot. His entire body was forest green with some lighter green stripes along the length of his body. He had no arms, and his short body ended only with an elongated head, complete with beady orange eyes.

“Hey, chief, looks like you got him awake!”

Beltuga turned around. Most of the village had come out of their huts to witness the little creature. Each of these people looked like the one he had met inside the hut, except with brighter colors and more dense plumage.

“Man, that little guy was in your hut so long, I thought you ate him or something.”

Everyone in the village burst out laughing. Even Beltuga chuckled a little. But he remembered himself, and decided to run back into the hut where he had slept. One of the orange creatures looked accusingly at the one who had made the previous comment, saying “Aww, now look. You scared him.”

Everyone laughed again. Beltuga sat back down in his makeshift bed provided for him, silently assessing the situation.
Back to top Go down
ReFrostE
Silver Spice
Silver Spice

Upvotes: : 14

PostSubject: Re: The Odyssey of Beltuga: Copyright Gelatino95   Mon Jun 06, 2011 6:27 am

Really great Fan-Fic!
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://aikawiifrostie.deviantart.com/
Gelatino95
Silver Spice
Silver Spice

PostSubject: Re: The Odyssey of Beltuga: Copyright Gelatino95   Mon Jun 06, 2011 9:49 pm

Thanks, Frostie. I hope to make it a little funnier in the upcoming chapters.
Back to top Go down
Gelatino95
Silver Spice
Silver Spice

PostSubject: Re: The Odyssey of Beltuga: Copyright Gelatino95   Tue Jun 07, 2011 1:40 am

Here's the next chapter. It's about the same length as the first one. And also, I'll update the OP with some of the characters.

Chapter 2: Beltuga tells his story

By now, it was mid day. The orange sun was all the way at the top of the sky, glimmering against the orange sea adjacent to the village. Even the grass and the trees were orange, as well as the creatures that inhabited this planet. Beltuga sat on a rock near the water’s edge, and a small collection of orange creatures surrounded him. Beltuga could only assume that this was all the creatures in the village. The chief sat on the ground next to him. Due to Beltuga’s short stature, the chief’s head was about level with his.

“So, tell us, little one,” the chief asked Beltuga. “Where do you come from? Who are you, exactly? We’re all dying to know…”

Beltuga looked back at him. “No,” he disrespectfully said to the chief. “I want to know about YOU. I just suddenly wake up out of nowhere, on a planet that I’ve never seen before, surrounded by aliens, and you start asking me questions. Now I’m asking the questions. Who are you, and how did I get here?”

The chief smiled at him a little, apparently amused at Beltuga’s demanding attitude. “Very well then, little one-“

“And another thing,” snapped Beltuga. “Stop calling me ‘little one.’ It’s very degrading. And I happen to be rather tall for an Orthavian.”

“A what now?” inquired the chief. Beltuga sat there and looked at him, demanding an answer to his previous question. “…Very well,” continued the chief. “Our species has no name. We never thought to give ourselves one. I suppose you can call us ‘orange.’”

“Oh, yeah,” muttered Beltuga under his breath. “As if there wasn’t already enough orange stuff around here.”

“To answer your second question, sir, we do not know how you got here. We only found you outside our village. Some of our gatherers reported that they had been gathering out late at night, and a brilliant beam struck through the sky. When it disappeared, it left you in its place.”

Beltuga pondered this information briefly. “A tractor beam, perhaps?” he mused. “Maybe a spotlight? Someone may have been searching for me!”

The oranges stared at him, not comprehending his words. The chief approached him. “You are a very strange creature indeed. Your words mean nothing to us, yet you seem to possess knowledge beyond our own.”

“You think I’m strange?” chortled Beltuga. “Have you ever seen yourselves, with your orange skin and ridiculous beaks? You’re like toucans, that’s what you are.”

Suddenly, from out of the pitiful crowd, an orange emerged. He was unlike the others, though; instead of orange, his skin was light blue and green. He had only a single feather on his bald head, which was more prominent than the other oranges’ and stuck straight up.

“This little one,” said the blue guy, in a deep, intimidating voice that was. “His confusion has changed his demeanor.”

Beltuga spoke up. “And who, pray tell, would you be?”

Before the gargantuan creature could speak up, the chief opened his mouth for him. “Uh, this is Bennendetto. At least, that’s what he asks us to call him. He claims he can sense the thoughts of others.”

“That’s enough, chief.” Bennendetto bellowed. “I can speak for myself.”

“And I might add,” the chief added, “he can be quite rude sometimes.”

“I said that’s enough!” Bennendetto looked keenly at Beltuga. “You’re not from around here, are you?”

Beltuga stared back at the gigantic blue thing, in an attempt to intimidate him. However, in his current state, Beltuga doubted he could intimidate him at all. He instead remained silent.

“Beltuga,” stated Bennendetto. “Commanding officer of the Orthavian Battle Fleet. Oh, you are very far from home indeed. So far away, and nobody will ever find you. Why? Because Beltuga doesn’t exist anymore.” Beltuga cringed a little at this statement. “Beltuga is nothing but a tiny, insignificant creature that can’t find his way home. Even when they come looking for him, they will never find him.”

Beltuga looked astonished. “What was that? What does that mean?” he asked the mind-reader.

Bennendetto backed up, his solemn expression never changing. He simply replied, “You know.”

“Please don’t listen to him, his words are nonsense,” the chief explained. “He’s constantly talking like this to everybody.”

Beltuga didn’t believe the chief. Bennendetto was the only one in this village who knew who he was. Promptly, the chief prodded him on; “Well, then, anyway. Beltuga, why don’t you tell us a little more about yourself?”

“With pleasure,” the little beast replied. He began to tell them everything he could remember…

~~~~
They were all on the command bridge of the Eagle Strike II, the flagship of the Orthavian Battle Fleet. All the orthavian soldiers had congregated on the bridge so that Beltuga could deliver an important announcement to them all.

“Silence, please!” shouted Beltuga over the microphone. Suddenly, a hush fell over the bustling crowd as they awaited the message. “As you all know,” he continued, “we’ve been attempting diplomatic relations with the Helion empire.”

“A fat lot of good that’s been,” commented one of the soldiers in the crowd. “Those Helion would let our entire race die if it would give them the cure to the common cold.”

Beltuga continued. “Therefore, we have organized a meeting with some of the Helion ambassadors to discuss the terms of our alliance. The meeting will take place in this very room. You have been gathered to witness the meeting.”

At this point, a lot of the orthavians in the crowd started booing and shouting obscenities at Beltuga. They yelled in protest:

“On this ship? Are you completely mental?”

“They’re probably plotting an attack!”

“How could those jerks ever agree to an alliance?”

“It’s all a setup! Don’t do it, Beltuga!”

Beltuga attempted to maintain order on the bridge. “Now, now,” he said, “I know you all have your doubts about the Helion empire. But we’re on the flagship of the Orthavian Battle Fleet, remember? The most heavily guarded of all the ships in the fleet. If the Helion want to pull anything, we’ll be here to stop them. Besides, we have you. An entire legion of experienced soldiers standing in the room will guarantee that nothing goes wrong.”

At this, some of the orthavians felt reassured, but others still protested.

“Now, mind your manners,” Beltuga ordered. “The Helion are due to teleport in for the meeting any second. Please take your seats and wait for the ambassadors to enter.”

All of the orthavians found seats and sat down, eager for the meeting. Remembering something at the last second, Beltuga returned to the microphone and added, “And please, for Spode’s sake, don’t boo when they teleport in! You remember last year, don’t you?” at this, a chorus of “Aww…” resonated throughout the room, as the soldiers recalled the rigorous physical tests that they had to endure after booing the ambassadors of another empire.

“Teleport terminal active,” stated an orthavian scientist from in front of a computer screen. “Our guests are arriving now.”

With that, a glow of light purple light intensified in the middle of the room. It promptly disappeared, leaving behind a set of stocky, blue creatures with immense arm muscles and bony shields over their face, covering an insectoid mouth and eyes. These were the Helion that were coming for a diplomatic meeting. With their arrival, a band of orthavians in suits, led by Beltuga, approached the visitors.

As Beltuga approached, he noticed something unusual about the group of Helion that stood before him. None of them were dressed formally. This could always just be a result of the differing and clearly uncultured nature of the Helion, but there was something different. All of the Helion carried shining bayonets mounted on their right arms, and small metallic plasma cannons on their left. Any civilized race knows that you never send your ambassadors with weapons (at least not visible ones). These Helion were clearly fit for battle, not for diplomatic relations.

Very briefly after the Helion appeared, someone shouted, “Now!” At once, two of the massive Helion guards strode forward and picked up Beltuga, holding him in a headlock. A smaller Helion with a cybernetic eye and without any weapons spoke up. He said to the guards, “Get us out of here.” With that, one of the soldiers pressed a handheld button and the teleporter fired up again. Orthavian soldiers in the crowd starter shooting their plasma pulsers at the Helion, being careful not to hit Beltuga.

Before they had teleported away, the guard sprayed an aerosol can into Beltuga’s nostrils. Beltuga suddenly became unconscious after inhaling this, and that was the last thing he could remember.
Back to top Go down
Gelatino95
Silver Spice
Silver Spice

PostSubject: Re: The Odyssey of Beltuga: Copyright Gelatino95   Tue Jun 07, 2011 6:25 am

Just so you know, guys, I REALLY appreciate any comments I receive for my story. It's quite taxing to write, and I like to see my work rewarded, so if you like it or have anything to say about it, please do so. Even if you have a critical comment, I want to hear it so I know how to improve the rest of the series.

Also, the OP has been updated with thei info for Marshal.

Anyway, here's the next chapter.

Chapter 3: The Return of the Orthavians

Beltuga sat there. The oranges stared at him blankly. They clearly did not understand a thing Beltuga just said. Bennendetto was the only one who understood, clearly because he could see into Beltuga’s thoughts as he spoke.

“I see,” said the chief. “Well, then, thank you for telling us all about you. You are indeed very different from us, standing over us, despite your short stature, like a god.”

“Well, you know…” said Beltuga, “I’m not really from around here. So I understand if you can’t comprehend me at all.”

With that, all of the oranges disbanded, going about their normal business. Even the chief left for his hut. Only Bennendetto remained.

“You, little one,” Bennendetto boomed. “Your story breaks my heart.”

“Glad to see you care,” replied Beltuga. “And stop calling me little. This isn’t my body, you know.”

The giant apologized. “Sorry.”

A slightly awkward silence ensued, made somewhat less awkward by the chief breaking wind behind them. Beltuga tried to avert his gaze as Bennendetto continued to stare at him. “Excuse me, Bennendetto,” said Beltuga. “Your staring is making me nervous. Please stop now.”

Beltuga looked up at the sky. “We are being visited,” he stated.

Understanding Bennendetto’s prophetic words, Beltuga looked up at the sky. A small red glow shined in the sky, barely visible through the sun’s light. The shape broadened, however, and it appeared to be flashing somewhat. Soon enough, the shape came into view, and revealed itself to be a gigantic ball of fire, heading straight for the planet.

One of the oranges nearby shrieked in fear. “A METEOR!” he screamed, as all the oranges looked up in the sky and consequently ran at top speed.

“Follow me,” Bennendetto said, and began to run toward the meteor.

“Are you crazy?” asked Beltuga. “I’m not going near that thing!”

“It’s not a meteor,” stated Bennendetto, “and it’s not crashing into anything.” Beltuga realized what it must be, and realized why Bennendetto said “We are being visited.” He followed the gargantuan orange as fast as his stubby little legs would take him, which happened to be just fast enough.

As Beltuga watched the fireball in the sky, its cloak of flames disappeared. It emerged into the lower atmosphere as a black, metallic shape that zoomed toward the planet at full speed. Beltuga could not quite make out the shape of the ship, but he didn’t have to. He already knew what it was.

It was an orthavian scout ship.

The scout ships were small ships in the fleet, designed to carry a large number of orthavians to planet side missions. Clearly, the orthavians were here for a reason. Beltuga knew that this planet was uncharted. Therefore, they came here because they found out about something that happened here. Perhaps they had come… to rescue Beltuga!

“It took you that long to figure it out?” gloated Bennendetto, running ahead of Beltuga. “I worked it out in about half a second.”

By now, the scout ship had slowed its descent and was preparing to land. Beltuga and Bennendetto were not far away. As Beltuga continued to run, he comically slammed into the back of Bennendetto, who had stopped near a small shrub to watch the orthavian ship in secret. Beltuga collected himself and stood next to the towering Bennendetto.

Over by the ship, a door lowered itself to the ground and a set of steps followed. An Orthavian in a soldier’s uniform emerged from inside the capsule, motioning for the others to follow him. A squad of six orthavians came from the ship and walked down the steps, stretching their arms and legs from the long, cramped trip in that small scout ship. The first orthavian who emerged started talking to the others.

“All right, men,” said the orthavian. “We were sent on a mission to find Beltuga. Now, the last teleport coordinates on that Helion ship that took Beltuga led straight to this planet. The ship is gone, so the least we can do is search the planet.”

“Excuse me, sir,” said one of the soldiers. “Sorry to interrupt, Captain Marshal sir, but are you suggesting that we search the entire planet? Won’t that be a lot of work between the seven of us, sir?”

“What do you mean seven?” replied Marshal. “I’m certainly not helping you clowns. You six can just search the whole planet yourselves while I kick back over here.”

“But, sir-“

“I was just KIDDING, dumbskull,” retorted Marshal with an annoyed look on his face. “The teleport coordinates point straight to this location. We just need to search this area alone.”

With that, the group disbanded and started scouring the area for any clues as to Beltuga’s disappearance. Little to their knowledge, Beltuga was right there in front of them. He couldn’t stand it anymore. He marched out to Captain Marshal to go explain what had happened.

“Beltuga, don’t do it,” whispered Bennendetto. “It won’t work, trust me.”

“Just watch me make it work, Mr. Psychic.” Beltuga continued on.

He strode right in front of Marshal. To his surprise, the orthavians were gigantic compared to him. He remembered that he had somehow gained the body of a primitive creature, and now discovered that this body was also rather small. Nonetheless, he shouted up to Marshal, who stood there in front of his ship.

“Hey! You! Captain Marshal, was it? It’s me, Beltuga. I know it must sound strange, but it’s true. Quiz me if you need to. Anyway, after being kidnapped by the Helion, I couldn’t remember anything and I woke up on this planet. But luckily, these guys called the orange helped me out. I saw your ship coming in, and ran to come meet you. Boy, am I glad to see you. You think you can take me back to the Eagle Strike? I don’t know what happened to me, but I’m almost certain it has to do with the Helion. If you get me back to the Eagle Strike, I’m sure we can work something out, okay with you?”

Marshal looked down at the pitiful figure of Beltuga that stood in front of him. Immediately, he started to smile.

“Oh, look what I found!” he exclaimed with joy. “It’s a gerbil! At least, I think it’s a gerbil… it could be a turtle. I’m not entirely sure.”

All of Beltuga’s hope left him all of a sudden. Marshal had not heard a word he said, and instead thought of him as a cute little animal.

“No, no… I’m Beltuga, see? I need you to take me back to the Eagle Strike!”

“Aww, he makes a little squeaking noise, too! How cute! All right, I’ve decided: it is a gerbi!”

Beltuga left without saying another word. Marshal used the cutest voice he could muster to ask Beltuga if he could pet him. Beltuga returned to Bennendetto. “I tried to tell you,” said the orange. “You’re just a primordial little creature who probably just climbed out of the water. Of course you can’t speak their language. In fact, you don’t even have a mouth. How did you make those little squeaky noises without a mouth?”

“You know what, Bennendetto?” exclaimed Beltuga. “You are no help at all. Heck, even your name is too long. Can I just call you Ben or something?”

“Fine,” said Ben, “but I won’t like it.”

With that, all of the soldiers from the orthavian ship congregated back at the front of the ship. One of them spoke to Marshal. “I’m terribly sorry, sir, but there was absolutely no sign of Beltuga. No trace of orthavian technology or life signs, and no physical evidence either. Nothing. Beltuga has never been here.”

“Yes I have, you imbeciles!” shouted Beltuga at the top of his lungs.

“All right, then,” said Marshal. “Let’s move out. Tell them the news.”

With that, all of the orthavians got back in the scout ship, with Marshal entering last. In a last-ditch effort, Beltuga ran up to the ship, screaming “NO, NO, NO! TAKE ME WITH YOU, YOU FOOLS!”

Marshal spotted Beltuga at the last second. He told him, “Aww, hey there little guy. I got to go. But you have to stay here. This is your home, little guy.”

“NO IT’S NOT! AND DON’T CALL ME LITTLE!” shouted Beltuga, almost fainting from exasperation.

“I think he’s sad to see me go,” said Marshal. With that, the door to the ship closed and the engines warmed up, shooting the ship into the sky from whence it came.

“So that’s it, then,” Beltuga stated to himself. “My own kind comes to pick me up, and they don’t realize I’m here, then they just leave on me. Now they’ll never come back here.”

“True dat,” added Ben from aside.

Beltuga shot back at him in a fit of rage, “I DON’T NEED YOU” and stormed off, not knowing where he was going.
Back to top Go down
Gelatino95
Silver Spice
Silver Spice

PostSubject: Re: The Odyssey of Beltuga: Copyright Gelatino95   Sat Jun 11, 2011 3:23 am

Like always, guys, I really appreciate it if you read my fan fiction. I know it may seem like a boring concept, but I'm trying to make this story as thrilling and emotionally invoking as possible, and it's really taxing to write. So please take the time to read it. Please. PLEASE.

Here's the next chapter:

Chapter 4: A Plan Hatches Like an Egg

Beltuga sat moping around all the next day, with Ben watching him intently as he paced back and forth. As if the fact that his people returned for him and he never got the chance to come back with them despite being right in plain sight wasn’t bad enough, Beltuga was somewhat disturbed by Ben watching over him.

“Excuse me, Ben!” Beltuga exclaimed.

“Yes, Beltuga?”

“Please stop staring at me. Where I come from, staring is very rude.”

Ben looked Beltuga in the eye and said, “I’m trying to read your thoughts. You see, I have to keep a visual link with someone in order for me to read their mind.”

Beltuga was disturbed at this. “Stop reading my mind! That’s my personal area, not yours.”

“Don’t worry,” reassured Ben. “I’m not reading any of your personal thoughts or anything. But your species… you are so advanced. Far beyond my species, as you have plainly seen. Your mind is filled with so much knowledge, so many terms and ideas and theories. Reading your mind is like reading an encyclopedia, and I can’t help but keep turning the pages. I cn learn so much from you.”

Beltuga felt a little bit better about this. “Well, I’m glad you’re learning from me,” he said. “Maybe you can learn how to build a space ship and get me the [bleep] out of here.”

“Well then, Beltuga,” replied Ben. “Do you know how to build a space ship from scratch?”

“No, of course not. Don’t be daft. You think I could take the materials out here and fashion a ship out of them?”

Ben replied to this, “Well, if you can’t make a ship, then I can’t. I only know whatever you know. Get it?”

Beltuga was getting slightly annoyed. “You think I’m not smart enough to figure that out?”

“No,” said Ben. “I’ve been inside your mind. I know that you know that.”

Beltuga let out a sigh and just sat down, allowing Ben to analyze his thoughts. This went on for a long time until Ben shouted…

“Eureka!”

“Please never say that again, Ben,” said Beltuga. “It sounds really dumb. And what are you yelling about anyway?”

Ben was clearly pleased with himself. A broad grin lifted the edges of his long, blue beak. “Well,” he started, “You’re desperately trying to get back to your own people, right?”

“Right. Exactly.”

“So, if you ever hope for them to find you, you need to get them to notice you, right?”

“Yeah…” Beltuga wasn’t sure where Ben was heading with this.

“The orthavians’ Scout Ship that came by a little while ago landed on this planet, correct?”

“Yeah, captain obvious.”

“Your species is a very clever one. While they were here, their ship automatically collected topographical data from this planet and they’ll have some scientist studying it, right? And also, they’re constantly monitoring this planet now, trying to know more about it!”

“Wait, wait wait, you lost me,” interrupted Beltuga. “How do you know all this stuff about my race?”

Ben said quickly and to the point, “I’ve been in your head, remember?”

Beltuga stopped, with nothing to say. He allowed Ben to continue.

“So, what if we were to make some sort of catastrophic change in the planet’s climate? I’m sure they would notice something as obvious as that. They’ll be sure to return to this planet to investigate.”

Beltuga thought for a minute. “That’s… very true. That is an excellent plan. Brilliant, actually.” Beltuga almost looked dumbstruck that a primitive creature was smarter than him. “But, I see a few flaws in your plan,” he retorted. “First of all, how would we be able to trigger a calamitous change in the planet like that? It’s not like we have any heat rays or refrigeration rays in our current state. Secondly, the orthavians have already been here and they didn’t notice me. How do we know they won’t do that again?”

Ben continued smiling. He obviously had a plan, and it was clear that he was ready to prove Beltuga wrong. “To answer your first question, I know exactly what we can do to make a big climate change. There is a great big volcano a few miles to the south. It’s remained dormant for a while, but I can tell that it’s still active.” Ben jumped up and down a few times and stomped his feet on the ground. “I can feel the ground vibrations. They’re very subtle, but I can definitely tell that there’s activity, somewhere underground.”

“A volcano? Hmm…” mused Beltuga. “If we do get to a volcano, how are we going to trigger an eruption? It’s not like we can control volcanoes.”

Ben continued, “Near the base of the volcano, and all over our planet, there are trees. We never named them, but I suppose we can call them Gunpowder Trees. Their leaves are teeming with some sort of substance that reacts very violently when heated, a lot like gunpowder. I believe if we could concentrate that particular substance and use the volcano’s heat to trigger an explosion, we could simulate a volcanic eruption.”

Beltuga thought this over for a second or two. “Okay, that would definitely change the climate. Aren’t you worried about your own species being caught in the effects of the explosion? I mean, they’re not that far from the volcano, and debris would be flying everywhere for miles around…”

Ben’s smile disappeared, looking down at the ground. He clearly did not look happy. “I have taken this into consideration, Beltuga,” he said solemnly. “I have decided that my species, the Orange, does not matter any more than the other creatures that may be harmed by an eruption. I am no longer a member of their species. They shun me because they don’t understand me.”

Ben’s gaze shifted from the ground to Beltuga’s eyes. Beltuga thought he could almost see tears forming. “But you understand me,” said Ben tearfully. “I’ve never had someone like you in my entire life. You’re smart and you know what I’m talking about. You don’t ignore me or reject me because I’m clever. I need you more than any of those oranges. They can burn in hell for all I care about. But you’re the only one I’ve got.”

Fighting back the tears, Ben cleared his throat and said, “Anyway, you don’t need to hear about my emotional distress. Many animals and creatures will die in the explosion, but you need to get home. That’s all that matters now.”

Beltuga, although feeling a little sick thinking so, couldn’t agree more.

“Now, to answer your second question,” continued Ben, “The Orthavians are going to come right to the blast site to investigate. Now, if they come to the volcano and see only two living things in a square mile or two, don’t you think they’re going to wonder a little? They’ll take us in for testing. They’ll want to understand why we didn’t die in the explosion. That, Beltuga, is your ticket back to the orthavians.”

Beltuga grinned as widely as Ben did. He was very happy at the prospect that he might be able to see his own people again, to be able to be himself in his own life.

“So, where do we start?” inquired Beltuga, as his way of confirming that he liked the plan.

Ben replied, “Well, I suggest we start hiking down to find the volcano. It’s only a few miles down the road, it should be rather easy to find once we get closer.”

“Let’s do it,” agreed Beltuga. Without further ado, they strode down towards the orange village, to go pursue a dream that Beltuga will finally be reunited with his own life. Neither him nor Ben knew what would happen along the way on this perilous journey. The sun was setting as they marched off into the distance.
Back to top Go down
DarkFish
Purple spice
Purple spice

Upvotes: : 1

PostSubject: Re: The Odyssey of Beltuga: Copyright Gelatino95   Sat Jun 11, 2011 3:57 am

I've been reading 'em, I just can't really think of anything good to say, I would probably have just said 'epic', and that seems to be awfully short for a post so that's why I haven't posted.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Gelatino95
Silver Spice
Silver Spice

PostSubject: Re: The Odyssey of Beltuga: Copyright Gelatino95   Sat Jun 11, 2011 4:06 am

Don't be silly, Blixa, there are plenty of things to say about my story, like for example, "I wonder if Beltuga and Ben are going to get along later in the story" or "I bet someone's going to die" or "I sure hope we meet some new characters soon". Even if you just want to say that it's epic, then that's fine too. I won't be offended, trust me.
Back to top Go down
Gelatino95
Silver Spice
Silver Spice

PostSubject: Re: The Odyssey of Beltuga: Copyright Gelatino95   Sat Jun 11, 2011 6:18 am

I've made some Spore creatures to represent characters in this story. I really want to show you, but I must warn you first: if you look at these pictures, it will completely spoil the image that your mind has made up for the characters. And that is the very best part of reading a story (and also the reason I hate movies based on books). So here are the links, but look at your own risk.

Be warned, as this is not my best work. These creatures are just the images that I thought of when I made the characters:

Beltuga in his current state:

http://www.spore.com/sporepedia#qry=usr-Gelatino95|500484375448%3Asast-500750627899

An orange:

http://www.spore.com/sporepedia#qry=usr-Gelatino95|500484375448%3Asast-500750629424

Bennendetto:

http://www.spore.com/sporepedia#qry=usr-Gelatino95|500484375448%3Asast-500750634562

Also, I've made an announcement creation for this story, and I would really appreciate it if I could get a few uprates for it. Here it is:

http://www.spore.com/sporepedia#qry=usr-Gelatino95|500484375448%3Asast-500750635279
Back to top Go down
Mitchz95
Purple spice
Purple spice

Upvotes: : 10

PostSubject: Great story!   Sat Jun 11, 2011 6:24 am

Great story! Although ruining the climate of potentially an entire planet just to get somebody's attention does seem a bit drastic..

Still, great work! I can't wait for chapter five!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Gelatino95
Silver Spice
Silver Spice

PostSubject: Re: The Odyssey of Beltuga: Copyright Gelatino95   Sat Jun 11, 2011 3:17 pm

Well, you can clearly see that Beltuga is a very desperate guy and you'll learn later that one of his major flaws is that he sometimes cares nothing for others when he's desperate. And then he feels really bad about himself later. It's like stepping on an anthill while you cross the street, and then thinking about all the ants that you've killed once you're across.
Back to top Go down
Gelatino95
Silver Spice
Silver Spice

PostSubject: Re: The Odyssey of Beltuga: Copyright Gelatino95   Sun Jun 12, 2011 5:17 pm

Chapter 5: Tribal Trouble

Beltuga and Ben continued toward the volcano. Along the way, they passed by the orange village. The oranges looked out of their primitive huts and witnessed Beltuga and Ben walking along the dirt path. “Good riddance,” mouthed some of the oranges as they hiked along. When Ben heard them say this, he stared at them as he walked. When Beltuga and Ben were out of sight of the village, Ben turned his head forward again.

“You were looking at those oranges,” observed Beltuga. “What were you doing?”

Ben replied, “I just gave them nightmares for the rest of their life.”

Beltuga thought about that for a second. “Wait a sec,” he said. “You can do stuff to other people’s minds? I thought you could only read minds.”

“I can communicate with others or make them see things,” Ben replied, “only if I have a visual link. That’s why I was staring at them.”

“Wow,” mused Beltuga, “you’re like a god, Ben.”

Ben chortled at himself at this comment. “Well, I may be omniscient,” he said appraisingly, “but I’m not omnipotent.”

By this time, Beltuga and Ben were far from the orange village. Disappointingly, though, a volcano was nowhere in sight.

“You used to be an orthavian, Beltuga,” said Ben, apparently reading Beltuga’s thoughts. “But now you’re a tiny little primitive thing with no arms. Your legs are much shorter, so you move a lot slower over land. It’ll take much longer to travel the same distance as it would if you were in your normal body.”

So that’s why the volcano was so far off, Beltuga thought. Before he could think any more, the two had come to a small clearing in the orange forest. Tall trees were evenly spaced apart in a circle, and a great stone wall stretched up high in front of them. Torches were placed on the sides of the wall all across the length of it. The wall went on until it met with a tall hill. Right in front of Beltuga and Ben was a wrought iron gate that blocked passage beyond the wall.

“So, this is where the trail leads to?” said Ben, somewhat confused. “That’s funny. I’ve been down this trail before, but I’ve never seen any structure like this. Then again, it’s been a long time since I’ve been down here…”

They went up to the gate and looked through. They could see lots of water stretching out in front of them, with thick forests beyond that. A small, raised plateau of land was nearby with some sort of totem pole on top of it. Over the water, some small huts (more advanced than those of the orange, but still very primitive) were held aloft by wooden structures. Platforms at the bottom and ladders provided access to these raised houses. However, despite all these somewhat advanced structures, Beltuga could see no living things inside the wall. He could only assume that everybody went inside for the night, as it was getting dark out.

Beltuga’s theory was promptly disproven.

Behind them, Beltuga and Ben heard some loud rustling sounds coming from all directions. They turned around, and all around them were muscular, red creatures that wore masks and had giant shoulder pads. Each of them held a hunting spear and, worst of all, looked hungry.

“Stay absolutely still,” hissed Ben. “Don’t move a muscle. Maybe they won’t see us.”

With that, one of the creatures raised his spear and shouted some sort of war cry, and then all of them charged straight for Beltuga and Ben. Beltuga could hardly react before he got violently beat on the head with the butt of a spear and fell unconscious.

~~~~

Beltuga didn’t know where he was. As he regained consciousness, the world started to come into focus. He was not standing on the ground. He could see around him that he was on a small piece of land, surrounded on one side by water and the other side by land. On the side with the land, he witnessed the same wrought iron gate he had been looking into earlier. Suddenly, he worked out where he was: he was on that plateau of land that he saw earlier. However, he wasn’t touching the ground. He was up high, tied to the totem pole. As he regained his senses, he felt something warm below him and heard a crackling sound. He stretched his uncomfortably short neck down and saw some hot coals blazing below him.

He suddenly realized that he was being burned at the stake. “It’s about time you woke up,” remarked an invisible Ben. “I’m tied up to the other side of the totem pole. And in case you haven’t noticed, we’re surrounded by those evil beasts we saw earlier.”

Beltuga looked down. Below him were a group of those dark red, muscular creatures he saw before. They seemed to be speaking in some language that he didn’t understand, but they sounded pretty violent. They seemed to be chanting something.

“Hold on,” said Ben from behind. “I can translate what they’re saying for you. I just need to set up a mental link…”

Suddenly, the speech of the creatures became understandable. They chanted, “The intruders will be sacrificed! The intruders will be sacrificed!” Beltuga didn’t like this sound of that. Below him, the red guys were throwing piles of leaves on the fire. Every time the leaves caught fire, they let out a loud crackling sound and disintegrated immediately.

“Beltuga!” exclaimed Ben from behind. “Do you see those leaves they’re throwing? They’re from gunpowder trees! They explode when they come into contact with the hot coals. And not only that, but the fire seems to be getting bigger…”

Ben’s observation was absolutely right. Every time a pile of leaves met the fire, it grew in height and got a little bit hotter. The skin on Beltuga’s feet felt as if it were melting off, and the heat started becoming very uncomfortable.

“This looks like the end, eh, old buddy?” said Beltuga without a glimmer of hope in his voice. He would surely die at the hands of these savages and the orthavians would never know what became of their commanding officer, Beltuga.

“Now, don’t talk like that, Beltuga,” reassured Ben. “I have a plan, but it’s VERY risky and you’ll have to be ready to run when I do it, okay?”

“Wait, what?” panicked Beltuga. “Where do I run?”

“Anywhere!” yelled Ben, “Just get away as soon as we’re free. Now, get ready for it to get really hot, really fast…”

Beltuga did not know what to expect Ben to do. He took Ben’s advice, though, and was ready to run whenever he had to. But how could they possibly get away from these savages? It’s not like they could sneak away with everybody standing there.

Suddenly, from behind him, Beltuga heard a strained noise come from Ben. Shortly after, a long, loud flatulent noise emanated all around the tribe. Some of the savages were rolling on the ground in laughter, but Beltuga heard a small explosion below him. The fire flared up violently all around Beltuga and he could barely stand the heat. But he could see that the rope that bound him to the totem pole was unraveling from the intense heat. Suddenly, the rope snapped and Beltuga fell onto the ground, mercifully away from the pile of hot embers. Remembering Ben’s advice, he darted away from the blaze.

By this time, most of the savages were running away in terror, deeply frightened by the explosion that just occurred before them. Without thinking, Beltuga ran for the edge of the plateau and jumped off as fast as he could, plunging into the cold water below. He finally felt relieved from the heat after diving into the water, but remembered that savages were probably pursuing him. He kicked at the water with his stubby legs and swam toward the shore as fast as he could. He clambered onto the land, and suddenly spotted Ben inside a small shrub. Beltuga scurried for Ben’s hiding place and dove in, crashing into Ben’s massive body as he did.

The two of them listened carefully to the sounds outside. Lots of the savages were yelling at each other. “You fool, why did you run away? Now the intruders are gone!” “We lost a perfectly good meal because of you!” “If you were standing right next to that thing when it exploded, you would have run away too!” “Why did that creature fart? That was just disgusting!”

“He’s right, you know,” laughed Beltuga. “That was possibly the most disgusting plan I’ve ever been a part of. Ben, you’re repulsive.”

“Hey, at least my plan worked,” replied Ben. “We would have died back there if I didn’t hold in that fart.”

Realizing that it was almost completely dark out, both Beltuga and Bennendetto went to sleep in that shrub while the stupid savages looked everywhere for them.
Back to top Go down
Bence657
Pink Spice
Pink Spice

Upvotes: : 0

PostSubject: Re: The Odyssey of Beltuga: Copyright Gelatino95   Mon Jun 13, 2011 1:04 am

Awesome! I want the other chapters to come out! And copyright this awesome thing before somebody steals it, writes the book and getting rich of your idea.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Gelatino95
Silver Spice
Silver Spice

PostSubject: Re: The Odyssey of Beltuga: Copyright Gelatino95   Mon Jun 13, 2011 1:40 am

Bence657 wrote:
Awesome! I want the other chapters to come out! And copyright this awesome thing before somebody steals it, writes the book and getting rich of your idea.
Edited the title.
Back to top Go down
Gelatino95
Silver Spice
Silver Spice

PostSubject: Re: The Odyssey of Beltuga: Copyright Gelatino95   Tue Jun 14, 2011 5:11 am

Chapter 6: Discovery of the Ravisha

It was early dawn and the sun was just rising above the horizon. The surface of the water glittered with the intensifying light, broken by the swamp plants that penetrated its orange surface. A silence fell all over the village as Beltuga and Ben woke up from their slumber. Beltuga stood up and stretched his stubby legs.

“Ahh,” he sighed contentedly. “It’s about time I got a proper night’s sleep. You awake yet, Ben?”

Ben’s immense body rolled over and he got up to greet Beltuga. “Well, my feathers aren’t aflame anymore. I’d say yesterday was a big success.”

Beltuga peeked out of the shrubbery to look upon the peaceful tribe. There was no movement except for the swaying of small trees and swamp plants in the light breeze. “Hey, Ben,” remarked Beltuga, “I don’t see any tribe members out there. Do you think they’re all still asleep?”

Ben looked out with Beltuga, and promptly shut his eyes for a moment, clearly in deep thought. “Nope,” he said flatly. “I don’t sense any life out there.”

Beltuga didn’t look surprised at all. “What, so you can detect life too?” he said.

Ben shrugged. “I don’t know, I’ve never really thought about it,” he enigmatically replied. “I can just… do these things, and I just take it for granted.”

Beltuga replied, “Well if there’s nobody out there, where did all the savages go?”

“That’s a very good question,” mused Ben. He puzzles over this for a second. “Perhaps they’re out hunting? Gathering? Walking the dogs? Taking a nature hike?”

Beltuga looked back out. “Well, if everybody’s gone, then I suppose we should make our retreat. We don’t want to be stuck hiding out here forever, do we?”

“I suppose not,” replied Ben. “We better get out of here as quickly as possible. There’s no telling when they’ll be back. See the iron gate over there that we saw before? That’s going to be our way out.”

With that, Beltuga squirmed out of the foliage and jumped out into the open. Ben tore through some branches to get out of the bush. The two of them sauntered over toward the gate that got them into this abhorrent tribe. Just as they were approaching the entrance, they heard something.

“AIIIIEEEEEEEE!”

A cry sounded from outside. Tone of footsteps could be heard from outside the walls. Just then, two of the savages, holding bloodstained spears over their shoulders, marched through the gate. Closely behind them, some savages came in holding a long, thick stick. A massive beast was hanging from its feet on the stick, a dark stream of dried blood covering its side. It was clearly dead. After this, a tribal member adorned with a cap of feathers and gold rings about his arms strode through the gate, with some more savages with spears following him. By now, all of the savages had entered the gate. One of the savages spotted Ben and Beltuga next to the gate and warned to the rest of the tribe, “Look! Fresh meat!”

The entire tribe froze and stared at the two creatures. One of them shouted, “Hey! Those are the guys that escaped from our cooking fire!”

“And there’s the one that farted!”

The entire tribe burst out in raucous laughter at this remark. A whistle sounded from behind and the noise stopped. Some of the tribe members moved around from inside the group, and the savage with the gold rings stepped forward out of the tribe. He spoke to them in a booming, low voice.

“So, you are the little things that escaped us?” he said. “You must be very cunning creatures to devise such a clever, yet risky plan. Bravo to you, I say, bravo!” With that, he started clapping in a mocking way. The other savages hesitated a little, then started clapping slowly with him, and soon they erupted in clapping.

The chief silenced them. “Despite your intelligence, we will have to kill you now. Guards!” Two armed savages stepped forward and pointed their spears at the creatures.

“Now, just wait a second!” exclaimed Ben at the leader.

Beltuga looked a bit confused at this. “Can they understand us?” he whispered to Ben.

“I’m mentally translating them,” he quietly replied. “We can understand them and they can understand us.” He continued speaking to the leader. “Now, what have we ever done to you? I must say, it’s very inhospitable to threaten to kill your guests. Now, why don’t you let us be on our merry way and leave us be?”

The leader burst out in booming laughter. “The little intruders can speak!” he said, somewhat amused. “Oh, this is just priceless. Should we kill something so unique? I think not!” Some of the tribe members moaned in disappointment. “No, no, you are absolutely right,” he said to Ben. “We should not have pointed our spears at you. We welcome those who are intelligent to our tribe. Unfortunately, there seems to be a shortage of smart people in this world…”

Beltuga and Ben looked at each other in amazement. They did not possibly believe that they were able to reason with these savages. They were just relieved that they were still alive and not hanging above a blazing fire.

~~~~
“So, tell us more about yourselves!”

This seemingly friendly chief was eagerly awaiting the answer of Ben or Beltuga. They had gathered in the chieftain’s hut so that they could share some “diplomatic relations” with each other, as the chief said. Shortly, Ben spoke up.

“Well, it’s hardly polite to inquire at your guests as soon as they arrive. It would be much more courteous to introduce yourself first, don’t you agree?”

The chief looked uncomfortable, apparently never having formally spoken to anybody before in his life. “Of course,” he finally said. “I am Raveesh, chieftain of the Ravisha tribe. We are the only tribe on this planet, as far as we know. We work endlessly day and night, hunting out in the wilderness for food and using our remaining time to improve our tribe. We take much pride in our advances.”

Ben looked at him politely. “The Ravisha, eh?” he said, trying to sound interested. “Very nice. It’s great to know about your tribe, Raveesh. Now, I’ll tell you more about us. My name is Bennendetto, or Ben for short, and this is Beltuga. It’s really quite a long story, but we’re trying to get to the volcano in the south so we can make it erupt.”

Raveesh stared at them enigmatically. “You are a very peculiar creature indeed,” he said with a puzzled tone. He seemed to not understand what Ben had said, or simply chose not to understand it. “Well, then,” he said, changing the subject, “we welcome you to our tribe with great pride. We hope that you will enjoy your time here. We would be glad to help you survive here by protecting you from the creatures outside and allowing you to stay within our walls. We would be glad to provide food for you for as long as you like. So, what do you think? Will you stay?”

Ben hardly had to think before making his reply. “Actually, we really should be leaving as soon as possible. We are trying to reach this massive volcano, you see. You understand, don’t you?”

Raveesh looked uneasy, as if something were wrong. “Please, sir,” he stuttered, “I must insist that you stay here in our tribe. We would be glad to provide for your every need while you’re here. How could you refuse a deal like that?”

Ben looked slightly annoyed. “And I must insist that we leave. Good day, sir!” he concluded, stepping out the door. Beltuga followed close behind. They walked out onto a wooden platform which suspended the chieftain’s hut above the water and descended a ladder that led to a wooden path connected to the land.

Behind Beltuga and Ben, Raveesh took a step out of his hut. He raised his hand above his head as some sort of signal. A Ravisha standing near the gate nodded in understanding. He promptly stepped toward the gate, stood in front of it, and thrust the butt of his spear at the ground in an intimidating way.

“Excuse me, we’re leaving now. We have a thing to do,” said Ben commandingly to the guard.

“None may pass,” replied the guard flatly.

“You must not understand,” said Ben, even more annoyed now. “I said we’re leaving!”

“None may pass,” said the guard.

Ben let out an exasperated sigh. Promptly, Raveesh ran up to them. “I’m terribly sorry, sir…” he said apologetically, “but we must guard the gate every time we come back from hunting. We must make sure that no wild creatures get into the village, so we can’t let you out for now.”

Ben decided to calm down a little. No need getting all worked up, he said to himself. “Okay,” he softly stated. “Come on, Beltuga,” he said, motioning toward the totem pole.
Back to top Go down
Gelatino95
Silver Spice
Silver Spice

PostSubject: Re: The Odyssey of Beltuga: Copyright Gelatino95   Tue Jun 14, 2011 2:42 pm

Added character profiles for the Ravisha and for Raveesh.
Back to top Go down
Gelatino95
Silver Spice
Silver Spice

PostSubject: Re: The Odyssey of Beltuga: Copyright Gelatino95   Wed Jun 15, 2011 2:20 am

Here's the creature to represent the Ravisha. As I said before, view at your own risk:

http://www.spore.com/sporepedia#qry=ftr-creature|tribe_creature%3Ausr-Gelatino95|500484375448%3Asast-500652101770%3Aview-newest
Back to top Go down
Gelatino95
Silver Spice
Silver Spice

PostSubject: Re: The Odyssey of Beltuga: Copyright Gelatino95   Fri Jun 17, 2011 4:26 pm

Chapter 7: Enter the Scrowla

Beltuga and Ben had walked over to the totem pole, where the cooking fire was burning and the smell of fresh meat wafted through the air. The Ravisha were cooking the beast that they had hunted earlier. Beltuga and Ben came over and Beltuga couldn’t resist the urge to take a bite out of the feast. He held out the convenient proboscis on front of his face and speared a great chunk of meat, ripping it off of the carcass. Much to his and Ben’s surprise, none of the tribe members protested. They simply looked away and pretended that the two didn’t exist.

“Ben,” said Beltuga, his mouth full, “aren’t you going to try some of this meat? It rules!”

Ben looked a bit disgusted. “Eat that thing?” he complained. “Nah, I think I’ll pass. I’m much more of an herbivore, you see.”

“Suit yourself,” said Beltuga contentedly as he slurped a piece of bloody meat down his proboscis.

“But Beltuga,” whispered Ben, “don’t you notice anything strange? Just yesterday, these Ravisha were prepared to burn us at the stake and eat us without a second thought.” Beltuga gagged a little bit at that comment. “But now, they’re not even showing the slightest sign of hunger at us. They’re pretending that we don’t exist. And I think it’s pretty obvious that they’re not really concerned with how smart we are.” Ben paused for a moment. “So… what are they up to?”

The two looked at each other quizzically. As if in response to Ben’s statement, a shout came from near the gate.

“Hey! Let me go, you imbeciles!”

This voice was different from the low voices of the Ravisha. It was more of a squawking noise, as if it were coming from a beak (almost like an orthavian, thought Beltuga). Just then, a relatively small, blue figure emerged into the gate, followed by two Ravisha prodding it with their spears. “Chief!” they shouted, “We found one of the Scrowla!”

All of the tribe members had formed a broad circle around them. Beltuga and Ben watched from afar. The Raveesh emerged from his chieftain’s hut and came down to the land where the blue person was. The two Ravisha spoke up. “We found this one sneaking around outside our tribe. He was clearly spying on us-“

“I was not spying!” interrupted the blue thing. “I swear I didn’t do anything to you. I was just collecting fruit for my tribe, that’s all.”

“Silence, Scrowla,” warned Raveesh. “You have no business near our tribe, no matter what the circumstances. Your tribe signed the treaty. You are never allowed here. Therefore, you will be kept prisoner within our walls for life.”

“But I-“

“Silence, I said!” raged Raveesh. “You will speak no more. Hunters, escort this Scrowla scum to his new home.” Just then, the two Ravisha hunters that brought him here picked up the Scrowla by his arms and waded a little bit into the swampy water and threw him on to a wooden platform with a small, ramshackle hut on it. The Scrowla immediately scrambled to its feet and ran into the tiny hut.

“Very well,” said Raveesh after a bit of silence. He pointed his head to the sky and shouted commandingly, “May all the other Scrowla know well that anyone who comes near our walls will meet a similar fate!” All of the Ravisha cheered and held their spears up in the air. Promptly, the meeting was adjourned and the Ravisha returned to their activities.

Ben looked intrigued at this. “Did you see that, Beltuga?” he said somewhat excitedly. “That Scrowla fellow over there seems like a fine guy. An outcast, just like the both of us, eh? Let’s go meet him, shall we?” Ben trotted off toward the water and Beltuga followed close behind.

As Beltuga followed him, he noticed something new about Ben. He was a much different person than before. Previously, Ben seemed to be a quiet beast who kept to himself because that’s simply what outcasts do. But recently, Ben had been taking on a more carefree and outgoing tone than before. Perhaps Ben was happy to have someone to trust in his life in Beltuga. Perhaps when he assimilated all the information in Beltuga’s head, he learned to be more like Beltuga at the same time. While it didn’t seem like it now, Beltuga was normally a very outgoing person among his own kind. He was very popular among those in the orthavian battle fleet because of his optimistic, carefree attitude toward things. Perhaps Ben was learning from that mindset.

At any rate, Ben and Beltuga waded out into the water and swam out toward the wooden platform that the Scrowla was thrown on to. They clambered up on to the creaking, rotting wood and approached the small hut. Ben knocked on the door, which fell off its hinges immediately. The cowering Scrowla was sitting on the floor of this prison-like house.

Ben approached him. “Excuse me, sir-“

Don’t come near me!” shouted the Scrowla, covering his face and holding out his hand in protest.

“Don’t worry,” reassured Ben. “We’re not Ravisha. We’re outcasts, like you.”

The Scrowla slowly lifted his head and gazed upon Ben and Beltuga. “…So you are,” said the Scrowla slowly. “How did you manage to get into the Ravisha village… and survive?”

“Well,” started Ben, “It’s kind of a long story. I’ll tell you the abbreviated version. So my buddy Beltuga and I were on a mission to blow up a volcano when the Ravisha captured us and were about to kill us, but we got away. Just as we were about to make our escape, the Ravisha came and found us, but they were somehow intrigued at the fact that we could speak, and decided to spare us. Now, for some reason, they treat us well and give us food, but they won’t let us escape.”

The Scrowla listened to his tale. He pondered over it for a minute. “They’re keeping you alive for some reason,” he mused. My tribe has had a long history with the Ravisha, so we know them better than anybody. And I know that they don’t give a [bleep] about intelligence. I mean, just look at what they did to me.”

Ben looked enlightened. “That’s right,” he said thoughtfully. “But if they were going to eat us, they would just cook us now, right?”

The Scrowla looked confused. “Indeed. So in that case, what are they up to?”

An awkward silence filled the room.

“Well then,” said Beltuga, breaking the silence. “Shouldn’t we go find out what they’re doing?”

Ben didn’t look amused. “How should we do that, Beltuga? If they find us doing anything against their plan, then they’ll surely kill us immediately.”

“In case you haven’t noticed,” said Beltuga proudly, “I just happen to be a very small creature. And in the Orthavian Battle Fleet, I’ve received special training in proper eavesdropping. If I can find Raveesh at the right time, maybe I can find out what he’s up to.”

Knowing all about Beltug’s special training and confident in his abilities, Ben replied, “Yes, that could definitely work. But you should probably wait until it’s night. They won’t be discussing their plans in broad daylight.”

“Absolutely,” assured Beltuga, and all three of them patiently waited for night to fall.

~~~~
The orange moon was out and the sky was a dark shade of blue, dotted with bright stars and shrouded with thin clouds. The wind was chilled and the tribe was empty, with all of the Ravisha in for the night. From a small, ruined hut completely surrounded by water with no bridges connecting it to any sort of land, a small, green creature emerged and dove into the swamp water. He kicked with his stubby legs until he reached the shore. He walked over toward a rope bridge that spanned the water and went straight to a wooden platform. Hanging on with his pitiful legs, he scaled a ladder up to the top where a great big hut was situated. There was a light coming from within the hut, and signs of movement inside. Making no noise on the wooden boards, the creature went up to the door and stood next to it, right below a window where two Ravisha could be seen. One of them was adorned with gold rings and a feathered cap.

“Mister Chief, sir,” said the other Ravisha, “the creatures seem to be sleeping in the same hut as the Scrowla captive.”

Raveesh looked puzzled. “Now, why would they want to sleep in that poor excuse for a home? There are plenty of better places to sleep around this village.”

“Perhaps they are befriending the prisoner, sir.”

“Bwa ha ha!” bellowed Raveesh. “Now that would be entertaining. Creatures that are our prisoners, befriending a Scrowla who is also our prisoner?”

Prisoners? thought Beltuga.

“Oh, but in all seriousness,” continued Raveesh. “If those creatures are consorting with the Scrowla, they are surely planning escape. We must implement the plan as soon as possible.”

The two of them stopped talking. Without any warning, the door to the hut opened and light flooded outside, exposing Beltuga perfectly. The Ravisha headed out the door and immediately spotted Beltuga.

“Hey!” he shouted. “What’s he doing here?”

Without thinking, Beltuga dove off of the raised platform and plummeted into the water below. He swam the short distance over to the hut where Ben and the Scrowla were.

Upon his return, Ben was frowning. “Special training for easedropping?” he said flatly.

“Hey,” responded Beltuga, “at least I had an escape route. When eavesdropping, it’s absolutely crucial to have an escape route in case you’re about to be caught.”

Raveesh got out of his hut and blew a long horn, making a piercing noise that echoed through the empty night. All of the Ravisha huts were open and Ravisha were coming out, mumbling tiredly and looking confused.

“Fellow Ravisha!” shouted Raveesh. “We must waste no more time. Our plan shall be implemented tonight!”

All the Ravisha shouted in approval. Beltuga, Ben, and the Scrowla could only assume that the plan had to do with them. With that, all of the Ravisha began moving toward their hut. The three of them could not escape. There was nowhere to go. Soon enough, the hut was completely surrounded. Beltuga, Ben, and the Scrowla could only cower right there in the middle.
Back to top Go down
Gelatino95
Silver Spice
Silver Spice

PostSubject: Re: The Odyssey of Beltuga: Copyright Gelatino95   Sat Jul 02, 2011 6:17 pm

I haven't forgotten about this fan fic yet! I'm sorry for the long wait, but here's chapter 8.

Chapter 8: Escape from the Ravisha

The little hut was surrounded in Ravisha. None of the three people in the tiny hut could even dream of escape. Nobody moved. A tense silence fell on the area. Strangely enough, the Ravisha were not attacking. Beltuga was sure by now that he would have a spear shoved up his rear end and be cooking over a fire. But the Ravisha stood there.

“I demand to know what’s going on here,” shouted Ben assertively. “I thought we were your guests.”

Raveesh emerged from the compact circle of Ravisha. “You can stop pretending to be ignorant now,” he said with a slight chuckle. “We Ravisha believe in slow death to those who deserve it. We’re going to stay here, day and night, as long as it takes for all of you to starve or eat each other or whatever. Then we’ll go ahead and eat whatever remains.”

Ben thought for a second. “Won’t it be boring sitting out here, watching us rot all day? You could very well starve before we do.”

Raveesh almost looked confused at that prospect. “Hmm…” he said thoughtfully. “I never really thought about that. Maybe I ought to think this plan through a little more.”

“Don’t hurt yourself,” remarked the Scrowla jokingly from behind Ben and Beltuga.

Raveesh stared blankly at him. He obviously didn’t get the joke. “You have no permission to speak,” he finally said. “I have decided that my men will take shifts watching you. That way, you will constantly be guarded, and we can still eat. There.” Raveesh looked rather proud of himself for coming up with a plan like that.

Ben kept talking. “All right, fine then,” he said. “Just leave us.”

“Maybe I will,” growled Raveesh. He pushed through the group and left his Ravisha men to watch over them.

Now Beltuga, Ben, and the mysterious Scrowla were all left together in the hut. Many of the Ravisha were no longer paying attention to the hut, and were conversing among themselves. The only ones who were trying to keep guard were the ones closest to the door.

“Well then,” stated Ben, “I suppose we’re going to need to formulate a plan to get out of here. It’s going to be a bit harder now that we have this gigantic blue bird-thing with us.”

The Scrowla looked insulted. “I can get out of here just as well as either of you two. I know the Ravisha better than you do.”

“All righty, then,” said Ben, “if you’re going to be getting out of here with us, then you might as well tell us your name. What is it?”

The Scrowla gave them an awkward look. He clearly didn’t want to answer the question. “Don’t make me read your mind,” warned Ben. The Scrowla dismissed Ben’s seemingly petty warning, as he was unaware of his psychic powers. Instead, he just remained silent.

“Well?” asked Ben.

“I don’t want to tell you right now,” said the Scrowla curtly.

Ben looked annoyed. “Fine, then,” he said. “Let’s just start making a plan, shall we?”

“Now wait a minute here,” interrupted Beltuga. “Our little hut is completely surrounded by guards. They’re going to hear our plan, aren’t they?”

“Oh, come on,” said Ben with no hint of worry in his voice. “Most of the Ravisha aren’t paying attention to us at all.” Indeed, most of them were chatting amongst themselves. “And besides, I’ve seen into their minds. Reading their minds is like reading a preschooler’s notebook. They’re dumb as a sack of potatoes.” To prove his point, Ben shouted for one of the Ravisha that was standing near the door. He said, “Hey, you! Yeah, you! What’s two plus two?”

The Ravisha stared at him blankly. Beltuga could almost see the emptiness in his eyes. “What?” he said flatly. “Is that a joke or something? ‘Cause I don’t get it.”

“See what I mean?” said Ben, looking back at Beltuga with a distinctive “I told you so” facial expression. “Now,” he continued, “We need to find a way to get out of here.”

The three of them formulated their plan together. The Ravisha paid no attention to their conversation, for they assumed they were writing their wills or praying or something.

~~~~
It was near midnight. Many of the Ravisha had fallen asleep, and others were trying to stay awake. Others had sneaked out of the crowd to go eat, but Raveesh had not caught them slacking off. From the little hut, the shutters on a window opened slowly. There were no lights inside the hut to catch the attention of any of the guards. Some faint movement could be seen outside the window, as a tiny creature appeared to be scaling the side of the hut. This creature had reached the leaf-covered roof of the house, and the entire way none of the guards saw him.

“Why did I ever agree to this?” inquired Beltuga to himself, exhausted from climbing up the side of the seemingly enormous hut with nothing but his legs and his little proboscis. After taking a moment to catch his breath, he looked straight up and saw the thick tree limb that Ben told him about.

Summoning all his strength, Beltuga made a great leap up toward the branch and pulled his proboscis over it, allowing him to hang on. He wiggled hit stubby legs and got a foothold on the branch above, finally able to pull himself up. Beltuga was extremely careful to maintain his balance up this high, as falling down into the water below would surely alert the guards around him. Luckily, Beltuga did not possess a fear of heights, being a naturally avian creature in his old body.

He was gradually able to inch his way across the limb, closer to the tree that it extended out of. However, the tree trunk was not his destination. Just as Ben had told him when discussing the plan, the chieftain’s hut, up on stilts above the water, was just within jumping distance. As Beltuga finally got near the thicker end of the stick, he calculated with his primitive binocular vision that he was as close to the wooden platform that the hut sat on as he could get. Being sure to catch his breath again, Beltuga hesitated before putting all of his strength into his tiny legs and leaping across the distance that would seem insignificant to anyone else.

Finally, he was standing on solid wood, just inches away from the chieftain’s hut. A guttural sound could be heard from inside, which Beltuga identified as Raveesh’s unreasonably loud snoring. He then remembered the next part of the plan. Beltuga searched the platform outside the hut, finding a few small jars, large hunting spears, and some extra golden rings for Raveesh to wear on his body, but not what Beltuga was looking for. He approached the opening that served as the door of the hut, being very careful not to make any noises on the wood.

Beltuga walked into the darkened hut, which had no door. Apparently, the Ravisha were not advanced enough to put door on the front of their huts. Raveesh’s snoring could be heard even louder from in here, and Beltuga would have covered his ears, had he any arms. Suddenly, Beltuga found what he was looking for leaning up against the inner wall of the hut: the long wooden horn that Raveesh used to alert all the Ravisha.

Beltuga looked for the end of the wooden horn that Raveesh blew into and slipped his proboscis into the hole, allowing him to hold the horn up above his head. Without banging the horn on anything, Beltuga walked out of the cheiftain’s hut and emerged out on the wooden platform once more. He took a few deep breaths to ensure that he could blow at full volume. Now, Beltuga summoned all his breath and blew out his proboscis with unparalleled force. Just as he had hoped, the horn made the same sound as before. A loud, low bellowing sound reverberated throughout the entire tribe. Flocks of birds out in the surrounding forest all flew out of the trees that they were nesting in. All of the Ravisha were suddenly awake, no matter where they were.

After exhausting all his breath, Beltuga threw down the horn and bolted over to the edge of the wooden platform, checking to see what the Ravisha were doing. All the Ravisha that were guarding the hut got up and were walking over to the platform where Raveesh’s hut stood. Once the Ravisha had left the hut, Beltuga leaped off the platform into the water below. The sound of the Ravisha murmuring amongst themselves and moving through the water masked the sound of Beltuga’s splash. He swam over to the little hut where Ben and the mysterious Scrowla still sat.

“Excellent work,” Ben said appraisingly to Beltuga.

“Aww, it wasn’t that hard,” replied Beltuga modestly.

“But we’re not done yet,” remarked Ben. “There is still one more stage of the plan. The escape. Now that all the Ravisha are gone, we can head straight for the gate and get the heck out of here.”

Ben lead the way out of the hut, with Beltuga following close behind as fast as his little legs could carry him with the Scrowla close behind. They were able to swim to shore without being noticed. They silently ran over the land and got straight to the gate. Ben and Beltuga made an immediate left after getting out of the gate, neglecting to look behind them.

Beltuga heard some receding footsteps behind him, and briefly looked back. He saw the Scrowla running the opposite way that he and Ben were. “Hey, where are you going?” he shouted as quietly as he could. The Scrowla gave him a brief glance, then turned back and kept running. Ben looked back and saw exactly what Beltuga had seen.

“Let him return to his own people,” said Ben solemnly. The two of them decided to stop running after they had gone a reasonable distance from the camp. They strayed off the path a little bit and found an abandoned nest, where they laid down to sleep for the rest of the night.

~~~~
“For the last time, I didn’t blow the signal horn! One of you jokers must have blown it!” Raveesh was fuming at the Ravisha that stood before him.

“But sir,” replied one of the Ravisha. “We heard the horn, so we came here, where the sound came from. That’s what we’re supposed to do when the signal horn blows.”

“But I DIDN’T BLOW IT,” screamed Raveesh. “Somebody’s trying to trick us, and I know it was one of you. Nobody else could have gotten in our tribe.”

An awkward silence fell over the crowd. Raveesh was waiting for someone to fess up, but nobody did. He finally sighed in exasperation.

“Fine, then,” he said a bit more calmly. “We’ll find out who did it in the morning. And whoever you are, you’ll be sorry! For now, we will go back to our tasks. You, men! Go back to watching the hut!”

The Ravisha followed their orders as Raveesh threw himself back on his bed. He had clearly overlooked the fact that the prisoners could have very well escaped while all the guards were away from their makeshift prison. Nonetheless, the many guards went back to the hut and didn’t even bother looking inside before many of them sat down and went to sleep.
Back to top Go down
Darkshadow
Purple spice
Purple spice

Upvotes: : 16

PostSubject: Re: The Odyssey of Beltuga: Copyright Gelatino95   Sat Jul 02, 2011 11:42 pm

This is a great story!I can't wait until the next chapter!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Gelatino95
Silver Spice
Silver Spice

PostSubject: Re: The Odyssey of Beltuga: Copyright Gelatino95   Sat Jul 02, 2011 11:55 pm

Darkshadow1223 wrote:
This is a great story!I can't wait until the next chapter!
Thanks! I'm glad to see that someone is following this story.

In case you were wondering, Beltuga and Ben are going to be joined by someone else soon. Maybe not in the next chapter, but soon. The Scrowla is also going to return. I just included him here for a little taste of his character.
Back to top Go down
Gelatino95
Silver Spice
Silver Spice

PostSubject: Re: The Odyssey of Beltuga: Copyright Gelatino95   Mon Jul 04, 2011 9:23 pm

Updated the OP with info on the Scrowla. Also made it a little fancier. I'll have the next chapter up soon, possibly today.
Back to top Go down
Gelatino95
Silver Spice
Silver Spice

PostSubject: Re: The Odyssey of Beltuga: Copyright Gelatino95   Thu Jul 07, 2011 3:56 am

Chapter 9: A New Face

Beltuga felt something warm on his face. He opened his eyes and realized that his face was all wet. Something rubbed against it. Beltuga looked in front of him and saw that something was licking his face. He immediately sat up and saw that he was surrounded by little, furry quadrupedal creatures. They stopped licking him and looked at him curiously. He looked over and saw Ben, still asleep in the nest. He was smiling and moving around a little at the affectionate licks of the creatures. Beltuga immediately kicked him, waking Ben up instantly.

“Huh… wha?” he said groggily.

“Get up, weirdo,” replied Beltuga. “I think we’re sleeping in someone else’s nest.”

Ben looked around and saw the little creatures. “Funny…” he said quizzically. “I’ve never seen these creatures before. I must have never come this far away from the village.” Ben looked out into the distance. “How far did we run last night, anyway? I can’t see the Ravisha village anywhere.”

“I don’t know, man,” shrugged Beltuga. “Last night was pretty weird.”

Beltuga’s response was cut short by a screeching sound out in the distance. The two of them, along with the little creatures that surrounded them, looked out in the direction that the noise came from. Beltuga could see some figures gliding around in a circle off in the distance. Without saying anything, Ben got up and started walking briskly over toward that area. Without question, Beltuga followed. The little furry creatures were less curious and instead sat down in their previously occupied nest.

“What in the world is going on over there?” asked Beltuga frantically.

“I don’t know,” replied Ben bluntly. “Some kind of hunt, maybe?”

The both of them continued to run toward the commotion and, soon enough, they could clearly see that the figures in the distance were birds. They were mostly black with some blue highlights on their wings, and they glided in the sky in a big circle. Now that he was closer, Beltuga could see that some of the birds occasionally dove toward the ground, baring their talons at whatever was there on the ground.

Ben and Beltuga approached closer and saw that the birds were attacking a creature on the ground. From what they could see, the creature was quadrupedal and had the rough body shape of a turtle. They continued to venture closer, careful not to catch the eyes of any of the birds of prey. The creature was, indeed, a turtle of sorts. It tucked in its head and legs every time one of the birds attacked it. None of the birds were successful in lifting it off the ground.

At this point, Beltuga and Ben were confident that the birds were preoccupied with this turtle and that they could come a bit closer. “We have to save that creature,” said Beltuga suddenly. “There’s no chance it can survive a fight with that many enemies.”

“I think we should save it too,” replied Ben, his mind racing to think of a plan. After a few moments, his eyes widened suddenly, as if he had suddenly hatched a plan. Ben reached behind him at his feathery tail, pulling out a small pile of leaves.

Beltuga wondered at this. “Why do you have leaves?” inquired Beltuga.

“I was carrying them in my tail,” replied Ben proudly. He was clearly more than happy to explain his thoughtfulness to Beltuga. “But they’re not just any leaves. They’re gunpowder leaves, the ones that the Ravisha used to build their fire. I picked some of them up back when we were in the tribe. I thought they might come in handy.” A smug grin came upon his face. “And I was right.”

Ben immediately searched the ground around him, and picked up a relatively long, thick branch. Working hastily, he took the leaves one by one and speared them on the end of the stick. He put more and more on until there was a thick mass of leaves at the end of the stick. “These were fresh when I got them, so they should burn pretty well…” Ben picked up another thick stick and started rubbing the two sticks together vigorously, near the mass of leaves. Beltuga now understood what Ben was doing. Some smoke emanated from the middle of the stick, and embers began to grow around the leaves.

Suddenly and without warning, a huge bunch of sparks fired off the stick with a loud bang. The birds up in the sky began making worried screeching noises up high. By now, the end of the stick was continuously exploding with blindingly bright sparks. Ben held the stick over his head and ran toward the flock of birds. The birds near the ground screeched and drew back from the fire. They all flew up into the sky. Then, the rest of the birds above averted their course away from Ben, Beltuga, and this mysterious turtle creature that they hadn’t met.

Ben’s stick burned out with a sizzle, and smoke billowed out from the end of the stick. Ben discarded it and went over to the turtle, which had come out of its shell by now. Beltuga rushed to come up with him. Before they reached the turtle, however, it let out a loud cry at the retreating birds:

“AND DON’T COME BACK, YOU GOOD-FOR-NOTHIN’ BIRDBRAINS!”

The turtle turned around and saw Ben and Beltuga standing before him. “Well,” he said in a somewhat calmer tone, “you really showed them who’s boss, didn’t you?”

“Sure did,” said Ben. “In case you were interested, my name is Bennendetto, or Ben for short.

“And I’m Beltuga,” interjected Beltuga. He felt the need to add, “We’re on a mission to blow up a volcano.”

“Yeah, well there’s really no need for introductions,” said the turtle. “I’ve got to find out where my family’s gone to. See you.”

With that, the turtle marched off in the other direction without even telling his name. Ben ran up to him and hastily said, “But you weren’t with anyone when we found you.”

The turtle turned toward him, looking irritated. “They all left when them birds attacked,” he replied curtly.

“And they all left you behind?” said Ben, looking into the turtle’s eyes carefully.

The turtle now looked a bit anxious. “What can I say? I guess I’m not a people’s person.” The turtle stopped talking, but he continued to look at Ben, slightly intimidated. Beltuga suddenly saw what Ben was doing.

“You don’t have a family,” Ben said after a short pause. “You were out here alone when the birds attacked. You’ve always been alone, your entire life. You walk these fields every day, eating and sleeping. That’s all you do. You’ve never seen another of your kind. You-“

“STOP IT!” yelled the turtle. “Just, stop. I know about my life. I don’t know how you know, but it’s true. I’ve been out here all alone. But that’s not my fault! I’ve never seen anyone else who cared enough!”

Ben looked over the turtle, making the observation that he was rather large. Almost as tall as himself. And not only that, but it didn’t have much of a shell. Its body was rather muscular and well-adapted for walking. Its four legs were thick as tree trunks, supporting its heavy body. It also had some primitive wings on its back, which clearly wouldn’t have been able to lift him off the ground…

“Well,” started Ben, “Why don’t you just tell us your name?”

“Fine,” said the turtle reluctantly, “if it’s really that important. My name’s Gary. No last name, no middle name. Just Gary. That’s all anybody knows me as. Not that anybody knows me anyway…”

“That’s a great name,” said Ben cheerily. “Isn’t it, Beltuga?”

Realizing that Ben was trying to cheer up this sad creature, Beltuga said, “Yeah, definitely.”

“I’m sorry for making you feel bad earlier,” apologized Ben. “I can read people’s minds, and sometimes I get carried away… but I’m trying to break myself of that habit.”

“Well, you better not be stealing any more of MY thoughts,” growled Gary.

“No, no,” argued Ben. “I don’t steal thoughts. I just read them. Like opening a door to see what’s inside, but not taking anything.”

Gary stared at him blankly. Clearly, he wasn’t the brightest bulb in the box. “Whatever,” he replied.

“Say…” said Ben thoughtfully. “Why don’t you come along with us? We’re on a journey, and you don’t have anything to do. We could always use an extra guy to come along with us.”

Gary’s eyes lit up at the sound of that. Hiding his excitement, he simply answered, “Sure, I guess I can. I don’t really have anything to do anyway. I mean, I might slow you down or something.”

“Nonsense!” exclaimed Ben. “In fact,” he continued, “I know something great you can do for us.”

“What’s that?” inquired the curious Gary.

Without answering, Ben walked around to Gary’s rear end. He put his clawed foot down on Gary’s tail and started climbing up his scaly back. He then sat himself down on Gary’s lower back. “There, now isn’t that comfy!” said Ben gleefully. “How does it feel down there, Gary?”

“How does it feel?” he said proudly. “Heck, I can hardly even tell you’re up there. You’re like a feather.”

“Great!” Ben looked over at Beltuga. “Well come on, then, Beltuga! There’s plenty of room for both of us up here. Your primitive little feet probably need a rest by now.”

Without hesitation, Beltuga mirrored Ben’s movements of climbing up Gary’s tail and sitting himself down. He got in front of Ben, closer to Gary’s head.

“All right, which way are we heading?” asked Gary from below.

“You know where that old volcano is in the south?”

“Aww, yeah. I’ve been down there before. I love that place.”

“That’s where we’re heading!”

With that, Gary’s thundering footsteps brought all three of them down south toward the volcano where the big plan would soon be executed.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: The Odyssey of Beltuga: Copyright Gelatino95   Today at 8:25 am

Back to top Go down

The Odyssey of Beltuga: Copyright Gelatino95
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next