» Random & Crazy Pictures
by Dark_Plague Tue Sep 15, 2015 4:12 am

» Stars Without Number OOC – Lifepath and Hacking Added
by Terwynd Sun Aug 09, 2015 4:02 am

» Hey guys...
by Talvox Wed Jul 15, 2015 2:38 am

» New Super Smash Bros. Game announced for teh Wii U and 3DS
by Potatrobot Thu Jul 09, 2015 1:29 pm

» What are your favorite youtube videos?
by Terwynd Tue Jun 30, 2015 9:32 pm

» General Chat thread
by Terwynd Thu Jun 25, 2015 1:10 am

» Steam Summer Sale 2015 [over]
by Terwynd Sun Jun 14, 2015 1:25 am

» ???????????????????????? ???????||INCOMING||??????? ???????||MESSAGE||???????? ??????????????????????????
by Terwynd Wed Apr 08, 2015 6:35 am

Top posting users this week

Share | 

Which came first, the Chicken or the Egg?

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage

PostSubject: Which came first, the Chicken or the Egg?   Fri Jan 07, 2011 4:24 am

I want to see if you sciency guys out there can help me discover the scientific way of answering the question that has humans on the brink of insanity. Did the Chicken or the Egg come first??

Here is my theory:
After the universe and worlds were created, every single world had atoms, which attempted to evolve into cells. This only successfully happened on the planet we now call Earth(as far as we know). These cells ended up creating Fish Eggs(don't need to be watched to hatch[which is why I pick fish eggs]) in our waters. Only 4 of them hatched. 2 stayed underwater, and the other 2 evolved after a while into amphibians, they had babies and thus the Evolutionary Line caused the creation of reptiles, mammals, and pretty much every animal currently known to man, including the chicken.
Conclusion: The Egg came first!The Fish Egg, that is... ninja (I never specified what egg it had to be)

Please tell me any flaws in my theory and post your own SCIENTIFIC! theory.

Have fun discussing!
Back to top Go down
Gelatino95
Silver Spice
Silver Spice

Upvotes: : 9

PostSubject: Re: Which came first, the Chicken or the Egg?   Fri Jan 07, 2011 4:44 am

The main flaw in your theory is that prehistoric cells, and even the bacteria and protists of today didn't reproduce by laying eggs. Therefore, they didn't evolve into eggs. Eventually, somewhere along the line, they evolved into creatures that laid eggs. I mean, seriously, what kind of evolutionary adaptations does an egg have anyway?

My theory, assuming that we're talking about chicken eggs, is that the egg came first because evolution is what caused the chickens of today to be born, and that very first chicken that represents the chickens that live today came from an egg. Therefore, the egg came before the chicken.

Also, technically, the egg comes first because it is a breakfast food. Both theories work.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.spore.com/view/myspore/Gelatino95
Lazernugget
Bronze Spice
Bronze Spice

Upvotes: : 6
Location : At the hadron colider poking antimatter with a rod.

PostSubject: Re: Which came first, the Chicken or the Egg?   Fri Jan 07, 2011 5:11 am

Gelatino95 wrote:
The main flaw in your theory is that prehistoric cells, and even the bacteria and protists of today didn't reproduce by laying eggs. Therefore, they didn't evolve into eggs. Eventually, somewhere along the line, they evolved into creatures that laid eggs. I mean, seriously, what kind of evolutionary adaptations does an egg have anyway?

My theory, assuming that we're talking about chicken eggs, is that the egg came first because evolution is what caused the chickens of today to be born, and that very first chicken that represents the chickens that live today came from an egg. Therefore, the egg came before the chicken.

Also, technically, the egg comes first because it is a breakfast food. Both theories work.

That's what I was gonna say! Scientifically, The egg came first.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Vektrix
Pink Spice
Pink Spice

Upvotes: : 1

PostSubject: Re: Which came first, the Chicken or the Egg?   Fri Jan 07, 2011 12:04 pm

The Chicken is a very recent addition to the animal kingdom, eggs have been around for over half a billion years in the fossil record. They developed shells, however, around 300 million years ago. Birds only evolved around 60 million years ago, a chicken is a bird and evolved around a million years ago.

Answer: Egg

Even Philosophically there is not a contest.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Dark_Plague
Bronze Spice
Bronze Spice

Upvotes: : 4

PostSubject: Re: Which came first, the Chicken or the Egg?   Sat Jan 08, 2011 6:38 am

Wow....Nice explanation Vektrix. Just what I was going to say XD.
(No Sarcasm thar)
"What Came First, The Chicken Or The Egg?"

Well in Minecraft, the Chicken came first cute
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Gelatino95
Silver Spice
Silver Spice

PostSubject: Re: Which came first, the Chicken or the Egg?   Sat Jan 08, 2011 6:47 am

I think it would be more philosophically challenging if we used chicken eggs as our example of "eggs" rather than eggs in general.
Back to top Go down
Loon
Pink Spice
Pink Spice

Upvotes: : 0

PostSubject: Re: Which came first, the Chicken or the Egg?   Sat Jan 08, 2011 8:45 am

Just talking about chicken eggs? The chicken came first.
Ovocledidin-17 is only found inside chicken ovaries, it basically makes the eggshell. So, no chicken, no chicken egg.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.spore.com/view/myspore/Loonquawl
Vektrix
Pink Spice
Pink Spice

PostSubject: Re: Which came first, the Chicken or the Egg?   Sat Jan 08, 2011 11:33 am

The answer is still egg, since evolutionarily the chicken would have developed slowly. Hard as it is to believe, the embryo in the egg would have mutated to become the chicken within the egg. However, being similar to other "Chickens" they can still fertilise their eggs, just his/her genetic material would stick since they survived with the new mutation... answer is still therefore Egg, since the Chicken would have come out of the egg as a Chicken, making the Egg a Chicken Egg, despite being laid by a slightly different creature.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Gelatino95
Silver Spice
Silver Spice

PostSubject: Re: Which came first, the Chicken or the Egg?   Sat Jan 08, 2011 6:37 pm

Vektrix wrote:
The answer is still egg, since evolutionarily the chicken would have developed slowly. Hard as it is to believe, the embryo in the egg would have mutated to become the chicken within the egg. However, being similar to other "Chickens" they can still fertilise their eggs, just his/her genetic material would stick since they survived with the new mutation... answer is still therefore Egg, since the Chicken would have come out of the egg as a Chicken, making the Egg a Chicken Egg, despite being laid by a slightly different creature.
I concur with this theory.
Back to top Go down
ghostofillusion
Blue Spice
Blue Spice

PostSubject: Re: Which came first, the Chicken or the Egg?   Sun Jan 09, 2011 8:32 am

Vektrix wrote:
The answer is still egg, since evolutionarily the chicken would have developed slowly. Hard as it is to believe, the embryo in the egg would have mutated to become the chicken within the egg. However, being similar to other "Chickens" they can still fertilize their eggs, just his/her genetic material would stick since they survived with the new mutation... answer is still therefore Egg, since the Chicken would have come out of the egg as a Chicken, making the Egg a Chicken Egg, despite being laid by a slightly different creature.

I agree with this theory, having heard it paraphrased in elementary school.

I also found a few other theories here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chicken_or_egg
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Gelatino95
Silver Spice
Silver Spice

PostSubject: Re: Which came first, the Chicken or the Egg?   Sun Jan 09, 2011 6:15 pm

Loon wrote:
Just talking about chicken eggs? The chicken came first.
Ovocledidin-17 is only found inside chicken ovaries, it basically makes the eggshell. So, no chicken, no chicken egg.
Yes, but no egg, no chicken, right?
Back to top Go down
byball9
Purple spice
Purple spice

Location : It's on a need-to-know basis, and you probably don't want to know

PostSubject: Re: Which came first, the Chicken or the Egg?   Sun Jan 09, 2011 8:29 pm

People have been debating this for centuries: I don't think a forum of spore users is going to figure it out..

But anyway, my view point is that HOW do you define an egg? And a chicken?
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.spore.com/view/myspore
Gelatino95
Silver Spice
Silver Spice

PostSubject: Re: Which came first, the Chicken or the Egg?   Sun Jan 09, 2011 9:28 pm

byball9 wrote:
People have been debating this for centuries: I don't think a forum of spore users is going to figure it out..

But anyway, my view point is that HOW do you define an egg? And a chicken?
The egg is defined as the egg that a chicken lays. The chicken is defined as the chicken that hatches from the egg.
Back to top Go down
byball9
Purple spice
Purple spice

PostSubject: Re: Which came first, the Chicken or the Egg?   Sun Jan 09, 2011 9:57 pm

OKay but here's the problem: the chicken wasn't the first animal on the planet. Unless, of course, the chicken is a metaphor.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Which came first, the Chicken or the Egg?   Tue Jan 11, 2011 12:32 am

byball9 wrote:
Okay but here's the problem: the chicken wasn't the first animal on the planet. Unless, of course, the chicken is a metaphor.

No, I am not using chicken as a metaphor, and you are right, in many of these, and this one, the chicken is not the first animal on the planet, which we do not know. Assuming this though, Through the cycle of life and evolution, the egg would still come first. Mutation and evolution in itself can cause this. For all we care, a cow(just an example) layed an egg one day which became the chicken!
This is because without a source of heat, the animal inside the egg would die, meaning no chicken, so without the chicken, no egg, without the egg, no chicken, unless it means a mutation through animal cycles.

Mutation is the word I used most in that(you should know if you took the time to read it.).
Back to top Go down
byball9
Purple spice
Purple spice

PostSubject: Re: Which came first, the Chicken or the Egg?   Tue Jan 11, 2011 1:31 am

I think of it as being the first lifeforms came from proteins and the other bare essential elements of life after the came together after millions of years and kept evolving and adapting to the enviroment and such...

or 42.
Back to top Go down
Lark98
Pink Spice
Pink Spice

PostSubject: Re: Which came first, the Chicken or the Egg?   Thu Jan 27, 2011 8:26 pm

I would lile to say the egg came first, the 2 birds made the egg that we today, think of as a chicken.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Shadow
Blue Spice
Blue Spice

PostSubject: Re: Which came first, the Chicken or the Egg?   Thu Jan 27, 2011 8:46 pm

The chicken came first, it evolved from bacteria into the life form you see today. It was simpler to make it evolve into the chicken than to try and create the egg first.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://uugf.forumotion.com/
Chaos
Pink Spice
Pink Spice

Upvotes: : 3

PostSubject: Re: Which came first, the Chicken or the Egg?   Thu Jan 27, 2011 9:14 pm

If you have played Sam & Max Season 2, it is explained:
It is actually the chicken, but Sam & Max replaced him with an egg...

Joke aside, I would say egg first since probably the first chicken (in the means of chicken in today's world) would be the mutilated offspring of a chicken-like creature back in the day, and then this better naturally adapted creature would survive while the parents dont...
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Shadow
Blue Spice
Blue Spice

PostSubject: Re: Which came first, the Chicken or the Egg?   Thu Jan 27, 2011 10:21 pm

It is a scientific fact that the chicken came first. Just accept it.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://uugf.forumotion.com/

PostSubject: Re: Which came first, the Chicken or the Egg?   Thu Jan 27, 2011 10:36 pm

The chicken came first. Like Vek said, chickens have been in are world for a long time. Scientificly, every creature evolved from microorganisims. So i would think the chicken came first because it spawned it didn't hatch at first. Joyful
Back to top Go down
Gelatino95
Silver Spice
Silver Spice

PostSubject: Re: Which came first, the Chicken or the Egg?   Fri Jan 28, 2011 1:53 am

RazorKnight wrote:
The chicken came first. Like Vek said, chickens have been in are world for a long time. Scientificly, every creature evolved from microorganisims. So i would think the chicken came first because it spawned it didn't hatch at first. Joyful
Yes, but somewhere along the evolutionary line, the chickens started laying eggs. So what about the egg that the first chicken came from? The first chicken was a genetic mutation from its chicken-like parent, and therefore the egg that it came from came before the chicken itself.
Back to top Go down
byball9
Purple spice
Purple spice

PostSubject: Re: Which came first, the Chicken or the Egg?   Fri Jan 28, 2011 3:53 am

That's a good point, Gelatino!

I suppose if we're talking about the first actual chicken, that would make sense.
Back to top Go down
Chaos
Pink Spice
Pink Spice

Upvotes: : 3

PostSubject: Re: Which came first, the Chicken or the Egg?   Fri Jan 28, 2011 5:12 am

Gelatino95 wrote:

Yes, but somewhere along the evolutionary line, the chickens started laying eggs. So what about the egg that the first chicken came from? The first chicken was a genetic mutation from its chicken-like parent, and therefore the egg that it came from came before the chicken itself.

That's what I think too. No creature wakes up one day to find itself in a different condition (in means of a different animal). Even if they evolved from some other creature, that creature's offspring was the first one to contain the appearance and abilities of a chicken.

@shadow: What scientific fact is that? Science dictates that there must be an egg that pre-dated the chicken, so the chicken would come to existence...

Here are a couple of different theories including a mathematical one, and most conclude the egg was first. (I find the first three theories the most accurate and logical ones).

Aaaand...
RazorKnight wrote:

This is not Battlefield you know... Things don't just spawn happy.

Last edited by Chaos on Fri Jan 28, 2011 5:21 am; edited 3 times in total
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Teh_Hawkinator
Blue Spice
Blue Spice

PostSubject: Re: Which came first, the Chicken or the Egg?   Fri Jan 28, 2011 5:17 am

The egg would be harder to genetically create its chemical make up, but with the chicken, the chemical make up would be easier to create
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Which came first, the Chicken or the Egg?   Today at 6:59 pm

Back to top Go down

Which came first, the Chicken or the Egg?
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next