» Random & Crazy Pictures
by Dark_Plague Tue Sep 15, 2015 4:12 am

» Stars Without Number OOC – Lifepath and Hacking Added
by Terwynd Sun Aug 09, 2015 4:02 am

» Hey guys...
by Talvox Wed Jul 15, 2015 2:38 am

» New Super Smash Bros. Game announced for teh Wii U and 3DS
by Potatrobot Thu Jul 09, 2015 1:29 pm

» What are your favorite youtube videos?
by Terwynd Tue Jun 30, 2015 9:32 pm

» General Chat thread
by Terwynd Thu Jun 25, 2015 1:10 am

» Steam Summer Sale 2015 [over]
by Terwynd Sun Jun 14, 2015 1:25 am

» ???????????????????????? ???????||INCOMING||??????? ???????||MESSAGE||???????? ??????????????????????????
by Terwynd Wed Apr 08, 2015 6:35 am

» Game Night — Every Saturday at 10pm GMT!
by Terwynd Wed Apr 08, 2015 3:01 am

Top posting users this week

Share | 

The Science Thread

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

What is your favorite field of science?
Biology
18%
 18% [ 4 ]
Physics
14%
 14% [ 3 ]
Astronomy
27%
 27% [ 6 ]
Archaeology (paleontology)
0%
 0% [ 0 ]
Microbiology
0%
 0% [ 0 ]
Chemistry
0%
 0% [ 0 ]
I like them all
27%
 27% [ 6 ]
I don't like science
5%
 5% [ 1 ]
Other (tell us about it)
9%
 9% [ 2 ]
Total Votes : 22

AuthorMessage
Frogger1093
Pink Spice
Pink Spice

Upvotes: : 0

PostSubject: Re: The Science Thread   Sun Nov 28, 2010 5:03 am

Sorry. When I said "Earth-like" I meant that the life would look or operate in a similar way to Earth's, not necessarilly Earth-like planets. But then again in order to have Earth-like life, one would need an Earth-like planet. But I digress...

I'm not too good with light speed and relativistic behaviors. I could understand it if I was reading something about it. I'm more into stuff like gravitation as a geometric distortion.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Lazernugget
Bronze Spice
Bronze Spice

Upvotes: : 6
Location : At the hadron colider poking antimatter with a rod.

PostSubject: Re: The Science Thread   Sun Nov 28, 2010 5:14 am

oh yeah...I watched a documentary on that, space is like a piece of fabric, and gravity is the dip, that pulls other things, and black holes are like needles making HUGE dips with EXTREME gravity, do you understand this?: We believe that every subatomic particle in existence are tied together with tiny quantum wormholes that are out of phase with other space-time. These wormholes could be used to be shot at different intervals than normal space-time and could be used to teleport objects. happy.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Gelatino95
Silver Spice
Silver Spice

Upvotes: : 9

PostSubject: Re: The Science Thread   Sun Nov 28, 2010 6:06 am

I would just like to add something about black holes.

A common misconception is that matter disappears into black holes... this is not true. The way I see it, black holes are just really super compact balls of matter that, because of their incredible mass, have incredible gravity. The gravity is so strong that not even light can escape, as many people already know. When an object is close enough to a black hole, it does not simply fall in. The gravity of the black hole is so strong that it overcomes the force of he object holding itself together, so individual particles of the object fall into the black hole, like pouring a bucket of sand. But the most common misconception is what happens to the object; the matter is simply added to the mass of the black hole. As stated by the law of conservation of matter, "Matter cannot be created nor destroyed." So the particles of the object settle onto the black hole and become part of it.

The common theory of teleporting through the use of black holes is completely different: The object comes close enough to the black hole that it is not broken apart. However, being that close makes the object travel at a great speed due to the pull of the black hole's gravity. So instead of being destroyed, the object maneuvers around the black hole so it is now going away from it. The incredible speed from the black hole's gravity makes the object travel a great distance in a relatively short amount of time. And that is how "teleportation" would work with a black hole.

I personally don't think that the teleportation method would actually work. Why? Well, when escaping the black hole after maneuvering around it, the gravity is still pulling at the object. Since there are no other forces acting against the object, the pull of gravity when approaching the black hole should be the same as when moving away from the black hole. Therefore, once the object leaves the gravitational field of the black hole, it would be traveling the same speed as when it entered.

I'm not sure if I made a mistake when writing that whole thing, or if any of my theories are false. If you disagree, you should probably tell me. Debate about science is the best kind of debate.

By the way, just as a bonus, here's something I thought of myself: Since arithmetic (and all mathematics for that matter) is just a system created by humans, it doesn't apply to all objects in the universe. For example: If you take one pile of sand, then take another pile of sand, and pour them together, you still have one pile of sand. Therefore, 1+1 does not always equal 2. Who knows how mathematics may act with foreign objects unknown to man?
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.spore.com/view/myspore/Gelatino95
Lazernugget
Bronze Spice
Bronze Spice

PostSubject: Re: The Science Thread   Sun Nov 28, 2010 6:19 am

hmmm....interesting...but black holes would stretch you so far that you WOULD be ripped apart and a black hole would suck you in, not fling you away...and for the math...interesting, that makes sense...interesting theory...how about the theory of the big bang and quantum fishers to lead to other universes?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Frogger1093
Pink Spice
Pink Spice

PostSubject: Re: The Science Thread   Sun Nov 28, 2010 6:33 am

Lazernugget wrote:
oh yeah...I watched a documentary on that, space is like a piece of fabric, and gravity is the dip, that pulls other things, and black holes are like needles making HUGE dips with EXTREME gravity, do you understand this?: We believe that every subatomic particle in existence are tied together with tiny quantum wormholes that are out of phase with other space-time. These wormholes could be used to be shot at different intervals than normal space-time and could be used to teleport objects. happy.

Sort of. It all depends on whether you believe in multiverse theory. The multiverse contains an infinite number of alternate realities that all occur at the same instant. Technically, time doesn't exist. What we perceive as the passage of time is merely an artifact of our passage through different universes. If we were to travel through wormholes in the quantum foam, we could travel to a different universe that occurs in a past or future version of our own universe. Time paradoxes would never occur because if we travel to the past and do stuff there, the present-time that we experience is a direct result of the past that we created.

Multiverse theory is a way to explain why you get the same photon interference pattern even when only one photon is shot at a time, because photons from other universes are interfering with the one that is shot in ours.

As for black holes, the singularity is an object of zero volume and infinite mass. It is impossible to witness something pass the event horizon. Due to time dilation, the object falling into the black hole would asymptotically deccelerate, constantly getting closer to the event horizon but never quite reaching it from the perspective of an observer. Eventually, the object going into the black hole would look like a 3D still-frame, but from the perspective of the object, everything outside of the event horizon is greatly accelerated.

As for the math... I guess it all depends on what counting system you use. Humans typically use a base-10 system. There's binary, hexadecimal, etc.

2 + 2 = 5 Big Brother said so...
And computer math humor--> "There are 10 kinds of people in this world: those who understand binary, and those who don't."
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Lazernugget
Bronze Spice
Bronze Spice

PostSubject: Re: The Science Thread   Sun Nov 28, 2010 6:40 am

okay...can you you be a bit MORE scientific? this is boring me...how about some math and quantum physics. tha'd be great. And again...do you believe in quantum fishers? or the point of my quantum teleportation?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Frogger1093
Pink Spice
Pink Spice

PostSubject: Re: The Science Thread   Sun Nov 28, 2010 6:45 am

Sorry. I get your quantum teleportation idea, but I've never heard of quantum fishers.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Lazernugget
Bronze Spice
Bronze Spice

PostSubject: Re: The Science Thread   Sun Nov 28, 2010 6:48 am

Quantum fishers are points where universes collides to one wormhole....
Back to top Go down
View user profile
camelfox
Bronze Spice
Bronze Spice

Upvotes: : 4

PostSubject: Re: The Science Thread   Sun Nov 28, 2010 6:58 am

biology is my fav. after all that's why i'm here.... to study it....
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://web.me.com/camelfox/BLOG/Camelfoxs_Blog/Camelfoxs_Blog.ht
Lazernugget
Bronze Spice
Bronze Spice

PostSubject: Re: The Science Thread   Sun Nov 28, 2010 7:11 am

well then...did you know if there is 50% salt inside a cell, and 25% outside, the salt will dissapate into the water until the cell and the water on the outside will have the same amount of salt?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Gelatino95
Silver Spice
Silver Spice

PostSubject: Re: The Science Thread   Sun Nov 28, 2010 5:37 pm

Lazernugget wrote:
well then...did you know if there is 50% salt inside a cell, and 25% outside, the salt will dissapate into the water until the cell and the water on the outside will have the same amount of salt?
Not only that, but since there is a lower concentration of water inside the cell, the water from the outside will diffuse into the cell through osmosis. If the volume of water outside the cell is large enough, then water will continue diffusing into the cell until the cell membrane lyses. (lyse is a fancy word for explode)

I like biology. :D
Back to top Go down
kobbleykobkob
Red Spice
Red Spice

PostSubject: Re: The Science Thread   Sun Nov 28, 2010 6:30 pm

[quote="FrostiePlush"]
DarkStar wrote:

Titan

You mean tRiton

/quote]
No, he means Titan, although its not a planet, its the largest of Saturn's moons with liquid on it.
I would have to agree with Mars as the best place, it has frozen water and lots of resources in general. After about 100 years we could make Mars a planet we don't need spacesuits for.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Lazernugget
Bronze Spice
Bronze Spice

PostSubject: Re: The Science Thread   Sun Nov 28, 2010 9:12 pm

We know....I said that already. Now...how about we discus dark matter/energy, black holes, antimatter, or the big bang...I really want to talk about quantum physics.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Lazernugget
Bronze Spice
Bronze Spice

PostSubject: Re: The Science Thread   Mon Nov 29, 2010 3:20 am

I hate to double post, but I don't want to edit, and I have to say...POST SOMETHING PLEASE!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Terwynd
Purple spice
Purple spice

Upvotes: : 18

PostSubject: Re: The Science Thread   Mon Nov 29, 2010 4:00 am

If a star blows up into a supernova 1000 lightyears away, we will not see it until 1000 years after it exploded. Why? light is not instant, it takes a while for it to move.

s¢ience rocks.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Lazernugget
Bronze Spice
Bronze Spice

PostSubject: Re: The Science Thread   Mon Nov 29, 2010 5:05 am

Because Light travels 1 light year...well...every year, so when it explodes, the light from 1000 light years away would take 1000 years to reach us. Lets discuss light now...do you think we can break the light barrier?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
kobbleykobkob
Red Spice
Red Spice

PostSubject: Re: The Science Thread   Mon Nov 29, 2010 11:25 pm

It has actually been proved as impossible, we have managed to make a hydrogen atom travel close, but during the time it was going at such a speed, it's weight increased dramatically, so if we could get a human to anywhere near the speed of light, they would also become extremely heavy and that might not be too good for them.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Lazernugget
Bronze Spice
Bronze Spice

PostSubject: Re: The Science Thread   Tue Nov 30, 2010 2:30 am

Could you please explain WHY you would get heavier? That would be great for my research and reports, plus designs. :D

I would like you to explain because, going relative speeds compared to light speed relativity and framed speed plus the effects of mass, says mass does not change by speed. GO SCIENCE!

As co-leader of the SCIENCE THREAD I propose I shall be helpful for WHAT EVER QUESTIONS YOU HAVE!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Gelatino95
Silver Spice
Silver Spice

PostSubject: Re: The Science Thread   Tue Nov 30, 2010 3:51 am

Well, I don't see any reason we couldn't break the light barrier. We just haven't tried hard enough to reach that speed. We'll know once we've tried hard enough, because by then, we will have traveled faster than light. Besides, since we've never broken the light barrier, how do we know that it's impossible?
Back to top Go down
Lazernugget
Bronze Spice
Bronze Spice

PostSubject: Re: The Science Thread   Tue Nov 30, 2010 4:17 am

I believe that because light speed (L.S.) is finite, and it is created by nuclear quantum force, that we may be able to break this barrier. At one point we thought sound was unbreakable, but it is not, so why can't we break light? maybe we can. (I even have ideas) and so, I believe if we break light speed, there will always be another challenge up to infinity, which we will end the age of speed.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
kobbleykobkob
Red Spice
Red Spice

PostSubject: Re: The Science Thread   Tue Nov 30, 2010 10:52 pm

Y'know, I actually read the speed of light thing in a kids book, but it did have the proper science in there as well. That book was quite old so, light speed may be possible thanks to modern stuff.
Anyway I'd say the next best thing is teleportation. To please you, it uses quantum entanglement. It's a bit complicated, but look what I found:
Quote :
Step 1: A pair of entangled ions are created: B and C
Step 2: The state to be teleported is created in ion A
Step 3: One ion from the pair - in this case B - is entangled with A and both are measured
Step 4: The result of the measurement is sent to ion C and the tranformation implemented
Step 5: The state of C is now the same as that prepared for A
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Lazernugget
Bronze Spice
Bronze Spice

PostSubject: Re: The Science Thread   Wed Dec 01, 2010 2:51 am

I know...that's the "Duplicate" way, here's the way I plan on it:

Step 1: A super com. finds a molecule from your destination (Point B)
Step 2: A super com. finds a molecule hovering in your room (Point a)
step 3: The super com. finds a quantum wormhole (I will discuss later) between molecule A and B
step 4: The teleporter creates an-electro-magnetic field divert-er that opens the invisible wormhole collected around the molecules.
step 5: the item you wish to teleport will be pulled into the un-focused void of space (Wormhole)
step 6: the bent space will pull the item to point B
step 7: you're done!

I have many schematics for this! :D
Back to top Go down
View user profile
byball9
Purple spice
Purple spice

Upvotes: : 1
Location : It's on a need-to-know basis, and you probably don't want to know

PostSubject: Re: The Science Thread   Wed Dec 01, 2010 4:27 am

I'm not sure if this counts as physics or not (it probably is), but the science of flight. I really find it fascinating
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.spore.com/view/myspore
Lazernugget
Bronze Spice
Bronze Spice

PostSubject: Re: The Science Thread   Wed Dec 01, 2010 5:36 am

That is physics, astronautics, and engineering. The basic flight of airplanes is a normal very large, engine that makes the plane thrust forward, when the plane reaches high enough speed, the plane launches, the shape of the wings can make the air bend around the wing, helping the plane stay up at sleek speeds, then is able to stay up for awhile.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Lark98
Pink Spice
Pink Spice

PostSubject: Re: The Science Thread   Thu Dec 02, 2010 5:44 pm

nah, I'm pretty sure Archeology is a social science cute
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: The Science Thread   Today at 10:01 pm